The Smell

Audelia's pov:

I yawned stretching my both arms. I can't go to university today because of the shooting yesterday.

Dad wants us to stay at home for the time being till he finds the culprit behind the shootings.

Out of a sudden, Andre bursts into my room.

"Jesus! Don't you know how to knock?!?"
I yelled at him but he couldn't care less.

"Dad found the man you identified yesterday. He's in the basement now."

"So fast?"

"The tattoo was a big clue so that's why dad's men found him fast. And now dad wants you down in the basement to identify as the correct guy."
Andre said as I quickly got up and slid an oversized shirt over my body as I went to the basement.

I entered the cold and creepy basement as the stench of dried blood rushed into my nose as I pinched them to stop from smelling the smell.

"Audelia...is this the man you saw yesterday. Look carefully."
Dad said pointing at the man tied with chains.

I looked as his face and arm as I nodded.

"He is the one."
I said as dad nodded.

"Okay. Now go upstairs. You wouldn't want to see what's going to happen now, would you?"

"No, dad."
I said and quickly exited the basement because I knew what was going to happen. I was nervous about the fact of seeing someone being tortured by my own dad.

I coughed loud as the smell of the dried blood never left my nose. Andre who was there heard me and walked towards me.

"Are you alright, Audelia?"

"Y-yeah I'm fine. Just (cough) I can't stand the smell of the blood in the basement."
I said coughing as Andre looked around.

"Okay. You take a seat first. I'll bring some water."
He said hurrying to the kitchen.

He came back with a glass of water as he handed it to me. I took it and gulped it down as I closed my eyes and panted.

"Are you feeling better now?"

"Yeah. Thanks Andre."
I said getting up. But I stopped from my tracks as I heard screams from the basement.

I just ignored it and rushed to my room, locking it.

I took out my phone as I plugged my earphones in. I turned some music on and jumped into my bed as I enjoyed the music.

When I'm stressed, I listen to music to calm me down. Growing up in a mafia family is never easy. The stress and anxiety you get when you are constantly reminded that you and your family are always and will forever be in danger just because we are the Rossinis.

I turned to my side as I saw a photo album on the small table next to my bed. It was our family photo album.

I took it and flipped the page as I saw mom holding me as a baby.

She was pregnant with Andre at that time. I flipped to the next page and saw dad with his father and mom with her mother.

I flipped through the page when I suddenly stopped at a page. There was a picture of my dad with an unknown man and a woman who I suppose is his pregnant wife.

Who's this man and woman? I've never seen them before... but they seem close to dad. I looked at the date, 25 years ago.

I closed the book as I sigh. My head  was bopping to the beat the music made as I hummed to the tune.

Kaleb's pov:

I had finished torturing the culprit and I managed to only get a name from him.

"Alex..."
Who could this be... I have never heard of an Alex in my whole life. The man I tortured didn't say anything else because he didn't know anything else and I believe him.

"Get rid of him."
I said to one of my men as they nodded. I heard begs and pleas for mercy from the bloody man but I ignored it.

I would definitely want to free him but it's my family that's we are talking about. And I would do anything for my family including taking a life.

I walked out of the basement as I headed towards the bathroom to wash his blood off me. I wouldn't want Y/n(Audelia's mom) to know.

As I walked out of the bathroom, Y/n appeared in front of me.

"When were you going to tell me that a shooting happened at Audelia's university?"

"You know about it? Um."

"Were you going to tell me about it?"
I knew I couldn't lie in front of her so I just told her the truth.

"No. I didn't want you to know because it will only cause you stress and panic."
I said as she took in a deep breath.

"What would our children think of us if you keep on hiding things from me. Don't forget that I'm your wife, Kaleb and also a mafia just like you are."
She sent me a sharp glare.

"I'm sorry, babe."
I tried to hug her but she pushed me back.

"Don't even try to babe me after lying to me."
She crosses her arms and pouted. Even after all these years, she was still the same when I met her. Strong, brave, independent and cute.

"Can I make it up to you? What about I cook for the whole day tomorrow?"
I asked with hope in my eyes as she tried to hide her smile.

"Fine. You cook breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow. And also wash the dishes and clean the house. Don't forget to put the clothes in the laundry and dry it too."
She said it all with one breath as my mouth dropped open.

"What."
She asked blankly.

"That's s-so much work."

"Well, that was what I did for the past 21 years with no break. You're only going to do it for one day. So quit your drama."
She walked out of the room as I chuckled.