The Text Message

TICK-tock... TICK-tock... the sound of the clock woke me up from my deep sleep.

I turned towards my nightstand and I took a look at the clock.

3.32 a.m.

I yawned loudly and was about to go to sleep again when I heard a buzz from the drawers.

It spooked me out even more when the buzzing continued and didn't stop.

I slowly got up from the bed, wrapping the bed sheets around me as I made my way to the sound of the buzzing.

I opened the drawer and took out my phone which was still buzzing in my hands.

How could it still buzz? I clearly remember turning it off.

My face turned into a sheer of horror when I realised that it was already turned on... but by who?

I vigorously moved my head up and down, left and right across the room to spot a possible intruder.

I grabbed my baseball bat which I kept in case of an emergency at the side of the room. I got ready in a position to hit somebody if they pop out.

But suddenly, my phone which was in my hand buzzed scaring the fuck out of me as I jumped and dropped the bat and the phone.

I was panting with fear obviously visible in my face.

I slowly reached for the phone which was on the ground and opened it.

25 messages? From the same unknown number?

I hesitated for a moment to open the messages but curiosity obviously got the best of me.

The messages read. 'Don't turn me off.' 25 times.

I gasped as I covered my mouth in fear. I slowly gained the confidence to type back.

'What do you want from me?'

'Simple. I don't want anything. You just have to text this number.'
The number replied.

'I won't hesitate to tell my dad about this. So back off!'
I furiously typed.

'Easy, princess. If you wouldn't hesitate to tell your dad, you would've already did the first time I texted you.'

'Well, I won't hesitate now.'

'Relax, Delia. I'm not even threatening you. All I'm asking is that you talk to me.'
Is this guy a creep? Well I certainly think so.

'Are you some kind of sadist? Or you're just pathetic. You disgusting freak.'
I texted in anger.

'Ouch... princess. That's too much, don't you think?'

'Just shut up and stop texting me you freak.'
I closed my phone and tossed it at the other side of the bed as I closed my eyes trying to sleep.

But I couldn't, all that was on my mind is this anonymous person. Should I tell dad? No I shouldn't, I'm sure that I can take care of this problem alone without dad's help for once. I'm a 21 year old woman, I can deal with this alone myself.

I closed my eyes and covered myself with the bedsheet alongside with the bat in case if something happens, letting sleep take over me as I drifted off to dreamland.

"Wake up, wake up, wake up."
A voice started to ring through my head as I jumped from my bed with the bat startling the person.

"Luca? What are you doing here?"

"I'm trying to wake you up! And why are you holding a bat! Did you know that you almost hit my cute face with that bat?!"
Luca yelled at me as I just chuckled at his behaviour.

"Well, I'm sorry Luca. Forgive me?"
I pleaded with my puppy eyes.

"Aish yes yes fine. I forgive you. Just stop making that face, it's making me cringe."
Luca spoke with disgust.

"Thank you, my little brother."
I said pinching his cheek as he yelped in pain.

"Ouch! But anyways, what are you doing sleeping with a baseball bat?"
Luca questioned rubbing his now reddish cheek.

"O-oh. I just missed playing it so I slept with it."
I stuttered.

"You missed playing it so you slept with it?"
Luca gave me an are you kidding me face as I just nodded my head vigorously.

"Okay, anyways just come down. It's already breakfast time and dad came home last night."
Luca spoke walking out of my room.

"So was he the one who turned my phone on? It can't be him. Why would he even bother to do that? Let's just forget about it."
I shook my thoughts as I headed downstairs to the dining room.

Hopping and skipping down the stairs, I saw dad talking to mom. More like arguing with her. But I just ignored it and walked towards the dining table, sitting down and began eating.

Mom and dad also came and joined us. After we finished our meals, dad cleared his throat and all of us shifted our attention towards him.

"I have a good news and bad news to tell all of you. Which one do you want to hear first?"

"The bad news."
Andre spoke.

"The bad news is... the Black Spades are after us."
Dad said making all of us confused except for mom. The Black Spades?

"Who are the Black Spades?"
Andre asked with seriousness in his tone of voice.

"The Black Spades, a gang who has all sorts of crimes, murder, drugs, theft, anything bad you could think of. In short, they're emotionless criminals. They are the second ruthless mafia gang after us, the Rossinis."
Dad hesitated for a while before explaining to us. While doing so, I noticed a slight hint of fear in his eyes, something I've never seen before, not once in my entire life. Whoever this gang was, they probably had great power or influence in the underworld to make my father, the leader of the Rossini Mafia afraid. But what were they in need of if they were after us?

"And why are they after us? Why have they suddenly taken interest in us?"
I questioned as dad sigh and looked at Luca.

"Go up and study, Luca. Mom will explain this to you later."
Dad ordered Luca as he obeyed him and went up to his room.

"Continue. Why are they after us?"

"There is only one clear reason. They want to get rid of us and take their position as the top mafia in the world."
His voice was tense. It was unlike my father to behave this way and it sure intimidated me a little. All my life, I had grew up with no fear, I didn't know how to fear. Because my father was one of the people many feared. But now, I can clearly tell you that fear, was something I don't wish to feel ever again.

Dad took a deep breath as he spoke again.

"Now with the bad news gone, the good news is that we found the Thomas guy who was after Audelia and we have some information about the gang."