The Letter

The letter read...

Dear Audelia,

I'm sure you've seen the music box with the ballerina. It's beautiful, isn't it? It once belonged to your great-grandmother, Valentina Rossini. She's the woman who started all of this, the backbone of the Rossini Family.

The reason why I'm writing to you is because your 21st birthday is approaching soon and I wanted to gift you something in advance. How time flies so fast... I still remember the first time I took your mom out on our first date and the time I was so nervous when I was in the hospital, waiting for your mother to give birth to the most beautiful girl in the world, you. You weighed 3.9 kg at that time. Not to mention that I panicked when I saw you all red, I even threatened all the doctors and nurses at the hospital but it turned out that you just had eczema and I was overreacting, but I couldn't help it. I was too worried about you.

All of this moments, it felt like it all just happened a week ago. You used to be a small little baby in my hands that I would cradle on my chest everyday and now... you're a young and beautiful lady. I'm so embarrassed to say this, but I'm having a little trouble controlling my tears while writing this letter.

There's one more thing that I would like to let you know, your boyfriend Alex. You really think I wouldn't know who it is? I'm your father, Audelia and let's not forget... I'm Kaleb Rossini, I have eyes everywhere. I know everything about my children especially ... you, Audelia.

Well to be honest, I was not too sure about Alex at first considering the things he did in the past but... seeing you happy, it makes me feel content and satisfied. I would only love to see you happy, my dear daughter. If there's one thing I learned during my life, it's to not sacrifice happiness for anything. And if Alex does hurt you mentally or physically, then... you're in the mafia for a reason, beat him up to a pulp if he tries to hurt you.

I would  love to write more to you but I'm afraid that I need to stop right now. Take care. Happy 21st birthday, Audelia. Dad loves you too much. And for your birthday present, ask Jackson for your admission to one of the best universities in the world. Don't forget to make me proud and don't be too stressed about studies. Dad loves you too much.

Love,
Dad.

Tears rolled down my cheeks like the rain on a dusty pain. Not being able to control my tears anymore, I dropped on all my fours crying my heart out holding the letter close to my chest.

"I love you too d-dad."
I whimpered. We never know the worth of someone when they're here with us, we only realise it when they're gone but it's too late.

I spent the same night crying for hours before blacking out.

I fluttered my eyes open and squinted at the sudden brightness of the sunlight shining through my window. It's morning already. Looking to the side of my bed, I found the letter that dad wrote to me all crumpled up. I sigh. I must've crumpled the paper when I was sleeping. Picking up the letter, I put it back into the music box's mini drawer, closing it before placing the music box in my bookshelf between two of my favourite books.