Twenty one

Gita took his hand in hers and walked as he guided her ahead. The hold on her hand was tight and firm. Once they came out his house, into the parking, she tried freeing her hand but a squeeze from his hand stopped her movements.

He left her hand only to open the car door for her. She sat quietly and he closed the door with a thud. Once the car started, she didn't know what conversation to make. So, she started with the most basic one.

"You were home today?" As the aunties mentioned, even she knew how immersed and attached Anand is to his work. He would never take a leave or deliberately sit at home.

"I knew you would not be able to refuse my aunts and shop with them, despite what I said. So I did my meetings from home." Anand said gazing into her eyes, a hint of anger still present in his eyes.

Gita's mouth was left opened, "and so you came at the perfect time, before they could actually purchase the gift, and take me away with you for this so called shopping?" Gita questioned him with wide eyes, not believing his ways.

Anand smirked a little, "Bravo wife! Aren't you learning?" He became serious and said, "I would never let them buy anything for you, atleast not like this."

"What is wrong with it? They thought if they ask my opinion and then gift me, I would like it plus I get to spend time with them and we get to know each other. Unlike some people, they atleast had the courtesy to ask my opinion." Gita spoke bluntly. She understood that he can't stand them but he should atleast let her have her own experience with them. Beside, spending few hours with them isn't anything wrong.

When Gita said it, Anand turned to her instantly, "If you want to talk about me, take my name and say things, don't taunt me. And that is the point, I don't want you to be spending any time with them." He spoke in his cold tone, "understood?"

When Gita didn't reply to his question, he spoke, "Gitanjali?"

"Yes understood." Gita finally replied to his question meekly.

"But why Anand? Why are they so bad that you can't tolerate them?" Gita asked. She wanted to know why he says such rude things about them and wants her to stay away. Not that Anand is a friendly warm guy, but she had never seen him react this to way to anyone before. He didn't like people so he just stayed to himself. Never has he told her to stay away from anyone or has heard him talk in this manner for someone.

Anand smiled sarcastically, "Gitanjali, tell me one thing. Why do you have to be so insistent with me? For everyone else, you are this angel who goes with every thing they say. But with me, you are so adamant. Why do you keep questioning me?"

"Welcome to marriage!" Gita replied in the spun of the moment. She bit her tongue, cursing Ami. It was always Ami that said 'oh marriage will change you' that caused her to say this line.

Anand just smiled at her, seeing her reply so spontaneously for the first time to him. His reputation has never allowed anyone to speak to him in any tone except respect and fear. He demanded it always and made sure people knew their boundaries. Apart from his few friends and his grandfather and father, only Gita has been given some sort of liberty with him. Anand was infamous for his sharp and quick mind, even if someone dared to outsmart him, he knew to take control and tear the person apart.

"Okay. As you say." Anand said. Gita just looked away embarrassingly at the window. It was almost the first time she had said something to him and he kept quiet, not quiet...he smiled! That's rare.

Getting a little brave, she looked at him after a while and asked, "so..why did you bring gifts for my mom and aunt?"

Anand smiled, "jealous?" He asked to which Gita gave him a look. "I can be charming, you know. Nothing wrong in giving my in-laws happiness." Anand replied.

Gita rolled her eyes playfully. Anand saw it and asked her the reason for rolling her eyes. "What? You think my act is fake?" Anand asked.

"It can be, right?" Gita asked testing him. Anand didn't like what she said, he didn't even take the joke. Anand just looked at the window, no more facing her. His voice went down, he said, "I did it only because they are your family."

He definitely didn't care about them individually but he bought gifts only because they are Gita's family and they should think they are giving their daughter to someone who cares.

The car stopped and they got down infront of a huge boutique. When Gita saw the name of the boutique, her eyes went wide, not believing the place she is standing.

_______

17/5/2021

Sorry for updating late.
Please vote and comment!

Take care :)