Thirty

Gitanajali was in a hurry to go home. Today was her first day after her marriage when she visited the NGO. The children had made cards for her and as much as they missed her, she missed them too. Now, it was almost 6 PM and she wanted to run home.

At home, the past 2 days they all were busy packing Anand's clothes. The maids had ironed all his shirts and Gita neatly packed it. While Anand gave attention to his formal shoes and watches and picked out the ones he will take. He packed things like he was going to settle there for a lifetime. Gita tried so hard to make him understand that he is over doing it but it was more like she was talking to a wall. He paid her no heed and packed the same way. Today, she just had to check the list and confirm if nothing was missed. Gita knew Anand didn't need her help to pack as it was him and house help who were doing it for years and Gita had no idea how to pack for such conferences but she wanted to help. And now, she understands what all is needed and is sure that she can do it all for his next conference.

Her legs and jeans were already muddy  after playing with the kids. And just when she got out of there, the rain started pouring out of nowhere. The people around her ran to find the shelter. It was not monsoons! How is it raining?

At first instinct, Gita wanted to go in the shed, just like others but her jeans was already dirty and the rain was just like in the movies, so she decided that she will just slow walk to the car, enjoying the rains.

The driver had a look for horror when he saw his Madam drenched in the rain. He quickly opened the door for her.

"Ma'am, you could have waited there and called me. I would have been there with the car." His voice trembling thinking of his boss' reaction.

Gita chuckled,"It was a narrow lane, how will the car reach? So please relax." Even after telling him to relax, she could see the tense forehead and worried creases, so she again told him to relax and he was not be blamed.

Gita got down at their apartment wing and saw few children dancing and playing  in the rain. She wanted to dance in the rain too, so without thinking much she joined them. In the span of just four weeks here, she had talked to most of the people here. The Saturday Activity Meet in the apartment were the reason that she was introduced to the residents. She had not expected them to be so warm to her. There were handful of children in the apartment and few studied in her school. Honestly, Saturday Activity Meet was too fun for her. The brunch, the chitchat for two hours were different from her daily routine.

Even they mentioned how Anand must know any of the people here. He was too busy and didn't join any social activity. They apologized to Gita because in the beginning when they read about his marriage, they thought his wife would also not join here. But Gita was quite the opposite, very talkative and friendly. Gita laughed at it and told them not to apologize.

The children and played football for a while when her phone rang. It was Anand. She ran towards the wing and picked it up.

"Where are you?" Anand asked in his serious voice. No hello on the phone!

"I am here downstairs near -" she was cut off when he said, "Come. Home. Right. Now." And he cut the call. Gita wondered what happened for him to be so upset but first she said good bye to kids before going home.

A maid in her forties opened the door and shock etched on her face seeing Gita wet from head to toe and her jeans stained in mud. She took her bag and exclaimed, "Oh My God! Gita didi. Where have you come from? You will get sick. I will make you hot milk to drink." Gita nodded and stepped inside walking to see where would Anand be.

With muddy steps on the clean white floor, she walked to his office first to see why he called her in hurry. She knocked on his door twice and turned the door knob. There he sat on the chair, looking absolutely pissed and Priti and Prakash on the couch beside covering in fear. As she was about to put her foot inside his office, his hand stopped her. His action was enough to stop her in her tracks.

He looked at Priti and Prakash and ordered them to go ahead as now he wanted to speak to his wife. Anand got up from his chair and strided towards Gita dangerously. He took hold of her arm and dragged her towards their room. Gita stumbled when he removed his hold on her. He locked the door and looked straight in her eyes with so much fury. Droplets of water still running down her hair, part of her top sticking to her body and the dirty stains!

"Should I bring a mirror to you?" Anand asked her in a calm voice yet very coldly. He continued, "There were certain things I told you on our first meet in my office. Do you remember?" Anand asked her. She was dumbfounded. Words didn't come to Gitanajali and her mind hazy.

"I asked you something. Answer me." He took steps towards her and stopped when there was little distance between them. "Just because I am trying to make you comfortable in this home and being soft with you that doesn't mean you go around and break my rules. What was it that I told you that day?
Didn't I say it clearly that you will not act reckless and behave responsibly?"

"Anand I am-" Gita tried to interfere when his voice boomed in the room, "Not a word, Gitanjali. Especially when I am talking. You were carelessly dancing and playing in the middle of the apartment with kids, getting your clothes dirty with mud and what not. I could see you from the window and so can others.

My wife, the wife of the rich businessman of this city, who should be dressed nicely, forget nice, she is covered in dirt from head to toe. Your appearance is nowhere close to decent."

He glared at her and continued, "Listen here, don't you make a fool out of me infront of everyone and I absolutely detest it when someone is not dressed properly. Fix yourself. And then you are going to clean the mess you made on the floor with your foosteps. I am sending the maids downstairs." Saying that, Anand was about to leave when he turned around. "Get going Gitanajali. Clean everything fast."

He opened the door and left.

__________

30/8/2021

■ please vote and comment ■

Happy Janmashtami ♡♡