One

Plz read the note at the end of the chap.

Gitanjali knew that she cannot avoid the inevitable. It was bound to happen.
After all these years, she can't suddenly grow a cold feet. She has to go through the fate that was written for her.

At the age of twenty five, Gita was to get married. This agreement was made long back. Although, her family calls it 'just a discussion', she doesn't think of it as any less than an agreement and it has been seven years since then. Now, it was time. Tomorrow, his family was coming to talk about the wedding arrangements. She knew he won't be there yet she wished that she gets a chance to talk to him before marriage.

Gita was the only child of her parents. Unlike what most people believe, she had not enjoyed the perks of being an only child. Gita was always disciplined by her family. She doesn't remember throwing tantrums over clothes or food. She knew her folks wouldn't entertain drama from her. At times, Gita also felt that her parents were much demanding and always wanted to mould her according to their wishes. But, she didn't complain. She had a good childhood.

Yet, she felt that they should have asked her about the marriage. She knew her parents trusted her and loved her but marriage was something that should have been her decision and not theirs. Although, nothing was final but she knew if she declined this proposal,her parents would be sad.

"So you are telling me they are coming to talk about the wedding tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"And? Do you want to say no?"

Gitanjali had never told anyone about the marriage which was decided when she was 18 but now, it was necessary for her to talk to someone and who better than her decade old friend.

"Okay wait Gitu, tell me the entire story. You confused me," said Shaina on the phone.

Gitanjali thought for a second. Whether it would be right to tell her or not.

Gitanjali took a breath and went back in time.

The Thackerays were a family friend. Gitanjali's paternal grandfather was a friend to Mr. Sham Thackeray. Now, that is an entire different story of how an influential person and a middle class teacher like Gitanjali's grandfather became friends. Gitanjali had known about the Thackerays being a friend and had seen them thrice or so in her lifetime of fifteen years.

When she was fifteen years old, Gitanjali and her family were invited to the wedding of Sham Thackeray's nephew. It was a four day affair and they were given a lavish room for their stay. She had the best time.

Sham Thackeray was an architect who earned a lot in his time. He was blessed with a son and two grandkids - a granddaughter and a grandson.
His son was an architect as well and created his own business which later grew to be an empire.

Gitanjali was reluctant to mingle with Anand and Isha - the grandkids of Sham Thackeray. After all, she was a mere girl and they were the spoiled brats of a wealthy businessman. She later felt guilty over her quick judgements. Isha was a sweetheart who was two years older to Gita. Anand was well Anand with a five year age difference between them. He was very reserved. She could hardly believe these two were siblings. Isha was a chatterbox while Anand gave answers in one word.

Three years later, at another one such function, she didn't know what exactly led to these events but on the third day, everybody was teasing Gitanjali and Anand and she even heard the talks of her marriage.

"Once Gita turns 25, I would like her to be married to Anand. They would look perfect". She heard Mr. Sham telling this to her grandfather and father, while Anand was there.
And from then on, on various occasions, Anand's topic and marriage was brought up.

"Umm, Shaina say something, I am done with the story."

" I know! But you are such a fool Gitu. His grandfather just wished for you two to marry and later on, all others were just teasing you. So, if you want, you can say no. You made me worried for nothing."

"You don't understand Shaina. It's sort of both our grandparents wish to see us married just because they think we will be perfect. My problem is I don't know Anand enough to get married or I just don't want to get married now."

"Then, get to know him. Or tell your parents you want time. Simple."

"Wow Shaina, thanks! I never knew this is the solution. Anand doesn't have time to have conversations. When we met 5 years back, he never said much, he could have made efforts but no, he just observed me with his scrutinizing gaze."

"Well, if he has a problem with marriage, he would say no," said Shaina.

"That's the thing, Shaina, I don't think he would say no to the marriage. It's his grandpa's wish, he won't go against him."

Gita continued, "See, I want to marry someone who cares for me, even if it is an arranged marriage, I must know I can rely on him. But with Anand, I just felt that I must be perfect, one mistake and he would kill me."

"Gita, just go to sleep, you are thinking a lot. We can't change what is going to happen. If you want , just ask time from your family."
And she hanged up.

Gita can't explain Shaina how Anand used to watch her. He was 25 when she was 20 and even though he never said much, she knew one thing - he didn't tolerate mistakes. He would always keep an eye on Gita whenever she was doing a task. She also noticed that he didn't try to mingle much and kept to himself.

Gita always wanted somebody who would understand her, talk and care for her and her family and look at her with eyes full of love, unlike Anand's who examined her.

But guess what? Life doesn't always give you what you want.

Gita tried to sleep but she couldn't. Anand was in her thoughts.
Without thinking much, she did something she never thought of doing.

She called Anand. Because he lived in other country, she knew it was daytime there.

After several rings, she heard his voice. She felt tingles and her heart raced fast.

"Hello," said Anand. His voice so authorative and demanding.

"Hello, it's me Gita speaking."
When she didn't hear a reply for a second, she thought 'how stupid can I be?'

"Gita Thakur from..", she was cut off by Anand.

"I know Gitanjali, I was wondering why did you call? It must be night over there, " said Anand.

Ahh! Gitanjali! There it is! One thing about Anand is that he never calls her Gita, Gitu or anything like others do. He always calls her by her full name - Gitanjali.

"I want to talk."

"Gitanjali, you must know I am at work."

"Sorry Anand, but it is important," Gitanjali was desperate for Anand to hear her.

"Well, we can talk after my work"

He hung up. Gitanjali was very angry. He could have just talked politely to her and said bye. But no, Anand doesn't do silly talks.

This was what she feared. She doesn't want to be in a loveless marriage where her opinions were not considered.

-------------
Hello!

Thank you for reading ♥️

Vote and Comment what you think :)

Edit : have made some changes. They met when Gita was 15 at a function.The next time when they met (Gita was 18), the marriage talks started and it was decided at when she turns 25, the families would like to move things ahead.

Sorry if it's confusing, right now have just roughly added the changes.