Two

"Ma, I need time. I am not sure about this wedding."

Gitanjali knew this would shook her mother but she had to say the truth.

Today, Anand's family was coming to talk about the wedding and this is the first thing she hears from her daughter in the morning.

"Were you sleeping for the last few years, Gita? Out of all the times, you could have told us, you chose today. Unbelievable!" her mother tried to control her anger.

Gitanjali was her sensible child and the most rational one. She knew when to voice her opinions and when to keep quiet during any discussion or an argument. It was immature on Gitanjali's behalf to declare this today.

"But Ma, don't I have a say?"

"Oh yes! You do. When we asked you for all these years, you had a say. What changed?" Her mother was trying to control her anger.

"I am afraid. What if he is not the one? I don't know him enough. I am scared."

"Marriage is indeed a big thing in an individual's life but you have to trust me, trust us - your parents,we know what is right. He is good for you," explained her mother.

Once in the past, almost five years back, Gitanjali had asked her mother if it was an obligation to marry Anand?

Her mother had laughed and said, "Oh! Definitely not dear! We all just love the idea of you two together. But if you feel, there is someone with whom you'd like to spend your life, we would be happy as well."

"You would not be disappointed that I am not marrying the precious Anand?"

"As long as we know that you will be happy with the person you have chosen, no, we won't be disappointed."

"But why do I have to marry at twenty- five, Ma?"

"Because that is the perfect age, even if you would choose a guy, I would make you two marry as soon as possible."

"Sounds like you want to get rid of me", said Gitanjali.

"Gita, you assume a lot. Why would I want to get rid of you? Can't I imagine a good future for you? 25 or 26 is the perfect age to get married, you get to know each other well, roam around and then think about babies. If you marry late, everything is rushed."

Gitanjali's eyes widened. Her mother thinks a lot ahead !

"Regretting that you didn't elope with a guy or had an affair with someone?" Her cousin Ami asked in a playful manner. She didn't know when her mom left and Ami entered her room.

"Ugh! I don't know. That was never my focus in life. It was always my career and studies. Beside, what is the use? They would have had me engaged by this time even if I was with someone else."

After a moment, Gitanjali asked "You know my fear, then why are you acting so chill?"

Ever since Gita was a kid, she had always watched dreamy romance on screen but as she grew up, she realized the stark difference between the movies and reality. The couples she saw in her immediate family or her social circle had long lasting marriages of over two decades or four. But she had hardly seen anyone of them express their love. She knew every couple has a different way of expressing their love but most of the times, she felt they were just together because of the society. The love had long gone and now remains just the vows. Being together didn't mean being happy.

She didn't want this for herself. She wanted love and craved for a happy marriage. An eternity is a long time to be with someone who you don't love and vice versa.

"I know what you are saying. I know we have seen very few happy marriages but trust me, yours will be nothing like it. You are overthinking," replied Ami.

"How do you know that?" Gita challenged her.

"You are not giving this situation a chance. You are clinging onto your fear of a unhappy marriage. If you don't give all this a chance, you would never know. Plus he is rich." Ami winked at her.

"Shut up." Gita was in mood of jokes.

"Very few people get the opportunity to marry their crush, grab it!"

Gita threw a pillow at Ami and told her to get out of her room.

It was true. It started at age of 16. After all the teasing, Gita did have a crush on Anand. He had a mysterious aura around him. He was smart and handsome. Why wouldn't Gita have a crush on him?

But that was until she turned 18 and concentrated on her academics, developed a passion for teaching, wanted to travel and noticed the couples around her.

Her crush on Anand was not serious and neither were her other crushes. She temporarily had had a crush on many boys but that ship had not sailed further. There was flirting involved but that's how far it went.

What angered her more was that Anand didn't call back. He knew she wanted to talk to him but he didn't bothered to call her.

It was almost time for them to arrive and Gitanjali had changed to a dress from her shorts.

She trusted Ami and Shaina and both said to give this entire thing a chance and so she would.

The door bell rang and her heart started thumping faster.
She heard the voice of everyone greeting each other and finally it was time for Gita to make her entry.

Everyone's eyes was on her and Ami was beside her supporting her so she would not faint.

Everybody was sitting on the couch and talking to each other but as she entered, the room grew silent for a second.

Suddenly, she was engulfed in a hug and they stayed in that position. Gitanjali didn't have to guess who was it. Anand's sister, Isha was always childlike and loved Gita a lot.

"Gitaaaa! How are you? I am seeing after so long!" squealed Isha.

"Isha, please behave." came the voice of the patriarach of Thackeray family, Isha's grandfather.

"Sorry Dadu, I am seeing my friend after so long, I could not control," giggled Isha.

If anyone would see Gita and Isha, they would assume Isha is younger amongst the two, despite Isha being elder to Gita by two years.

"Can we talk to Gita now?," asked Isha's dad.

Gita took a deep breath, sat on the couch and answered all their questions regarding her education, her career and her aspirations.

"Gita, I know you might wonder how I chose you for my Anand, well, you are my good friend's grand daughter and I can see his qualities in you - warm-hearted, passionate towards work and most importantly - your calmness in chaos. My Anand needs somebody like you." Said the family patriarch - Anand and Isha's Daddu.

"Thank you, Sir for your kind words. I am honoured. But....what is the hurry to marry? I mean, I have to complete a course which can take a year."

Gita lied through her teeth. There was no course, but that was the only excuse to delay the marriage.

"Hahahahaha, Anand is not getting any younger. He is already 30. And if you want to do something, you can continue after marriage. We will ensure you get into the best institution."

He sighed as if coming out of reverie and continued, "I wish your grandpa was alive. May his soul rest in peace. Gita, do you accept this wedding to Anand?," asked Grandpa.

Everyone's eyes was on her. Sure, it was her decision but she knew if she rejected this, everyone would be disappointed and sad. Her family says, " You can't get a better proposal than this."
They all believed the Thackeray family was the best for Gita. And to think about it, Anand was not a bad guy.

She took a deep breath.

"Yes, I am ready."

__________________

Dadu - Grandpa.

Hello ! Hope you are doing well.

vote, comment what you think!

Share the story as well :))

Thanks for reading ♥️