Sixty Nine

Gita was dressed in a traditional green saree, adorned with gold earrings. Her and Anand had a big argument over her choice of clothing. He asked her to wear something simple rather than a saree which might cause her discomfort but Gita being Gita wore saree stating it is her baby's naming ceremony, an event that is only once-in- a-lifetime and she wanted to wear a saree!

Ami was helping Gita select the necklace when she had an amusing thought. Seeing her smile to herself, Gita asked what's with her smiling alone.

"Just thinking, Anand and his family are so rich and influential, obviously they had want a grand and lavish naming ceremony but since it would be a problem for you, Anand did all this at home on such a small scale. Isn't it cute?"

And then it hit Gita! This wasn't normal. What Ami said is 100% true. For a man whose company deals in millions and internationally, his family had definitely want a grand ceremony to invite their contacts. For Anand's family, the definition of "small ceremony" meant atleast five hundred people or more. But today, they just had the closest family in their home for the ceremony. Gita just nodded at Ami, not saying much.

"What hmmm? He was so stressed in the hospital for you? Did you even say sorry to him?" Ami asked. She was proud of her sister for saving a girl but even she didn't think it was nice to put her and the baby's life on stake.

"I can say sorry but truth to be told, I am not." Gita shrugged.

"Lol, Gita! I can see Anand's traits transferred to you. You have become so stubborn these days." Ami commented on her attitude.

Ami moved Gita's wheelchair out of the bedroom to the living room. Anand, his dad and Gita's father were looking at the preparations while Dadu, Isha and Gita's mom and aunt fawned over the baby. They were so invested in him that they failed to notice Gita.

"Atleast, look at me!" She announced her arrival in the room.

Her mother did her nazar and Isha complimented her look but few minutes, all their attention was on the baby.

As Anand and Gita completed some rituals, it was time for them to reveal the name of the baby.

"We all have our own stories that makes us who we are but very few people are born with a story of their own. Fortunately or unfortunately, even my baby has a story of his own. Even though it was difficult time for us all as a family, I still feel he is lucky to be tested and be victorious and have his own story at birth. We think the most apt name for him, for his courage and bravery is...Veer! My little warrior. As parents, we want him to be always kind and brave in life. To face situations with strong grit and be victorious." She kissed her baby's forehead. "Veer Anand Thackeray."

Everyone got teary eyed at Gita's words. It was a bittersweet moment. But the bad days were past them. They were all wrapped around Veer's little finger. They clapped and fed sweets to each other. Ami and Isha had a little fight about who gets to keep Veer more. But hardly anyone won before Isha. She kept Veer in her arms and Ami didn't argue.

"He looks so much like Anand." Daddu commented. Veer had inherited Anand's green eyes. Those forest green eyes had the magic to captivate everyone around him. Gita's mom says the baby's nose is like Gita but she was yet to see that. Gita only saw Anand's carbon copy for now, even when he is so little.

In the evening, the elders left but Isha and Ami chose to stay and hangout with Veer. This gave Gita the time to rest for sometime after a busy and tiring day. Anand and Isha barely conversed like before but what moved Isha was the fact that her cold brother was trying to mend things, to make a conversation and was apologetic for his deed. The Anand she knew never regretted his doings and even if he did, he would never be apologetic. A while later, Isha and Ami left the home as Veer was getting cranky and about to go to sleep.

The doorbell rang and Gita screeched Anand's name who came out of his study running, fearing something went wrong with her.

"Are you crazy? Why scream like a banshee?" Anand asked with a hand on his heart, calming himself down.

They heard Veer's cry from the room and Shanti didi appeared while cooing him. "What happened Gita didi? I got so scared, even Veer baba started crying." She asked worried.

"Anand, get the door! Get the door!" She ignored all of them and ordered Anand.  He looked at her with an annoyed expression, clearly irritated with her shreiking voice but walked to get the door. The moment he opened the door, he was shocked to see his mom standing there. In all these years, not once had his mom visited his home.

"May I come in?" Nandini asked when Anand didn't say anything upon seeing her. He moved aside to let her in but was unable to come to terms with the fact that his mom is at his doorstep. He went straight to his study without saying a word.

Nandini hugged Gita and asked her about her well being. She went to her grandson, who had calmed down and took him in her arms. He was definitely one of the cutest babies she has ever seen, or may be it was her biased grandma opinion.

"I was waiting for you since so long!" Gita had insisted Nandini to come to Veer's naming ceremony since a long time. She resorted to almost emotionally blackmailing Nandini and that's when finally Nandini agreed to come.

She played with the baby for some time until he was about to sleep. Shanti Didi took Veer to his crib. Gita noticed how Nandini's eyes flickered and her eyes looked around.

"He is in his study, in that room." She pointed towards his study at the end of the living room.

*

He was trying to concentrate on his work when the knock on the door disturbed his train of thoughts.

It was his mother who had opened the door a little and looked for his permission to enter. He was sure a grown man but had not developed the audacity to not allow his mother in.

Nandini walked in her blue cotton saree and her hair in a small bun. She sat across from him. There was a awkward air in the room...both not wanting to speak.

"Congratulations on being a father. Veer is a beautiful name." Nandini said.

"Hmm. Gitanjali chose the name." He was a bit embarassed about what he had said to her in the hospital.

"I...I wanted to apologise for what I said in the hospital. I was just very stressed." He had learnt the hard way that it was good to say what you feel, the moment you feel it. And he didn't know if his mom would talk to him any other time, he didn't want to waste any time in telling his mom that he was really apologetic about his words.

Nandini had a tight lipped smile. "Honestly, it hurt when you thought we could wish you for this. You knew us better than this or atleast we thought." Both Nandini and Isha were sad that Anand thought so little of them. "But, I want to move past all this Anand. It's natural for you to think I carry bitterness in my heart for you. Yes, I was angry with you but more than that, I was angry at myself to fail as a mother. I feel guilty for not being there for you. But it is of no help to carry regret in my heart. I am sorry for my absence in yours and Isha's life and I know that no words can fill the emptiness." She looked down as she uttered those words. Nandini Dixit had never not met eyes while talking because she was always confident in herself and her actions.

Anand took a deep sigh. He had just wanted forgiveness all these years from his mother.

"Mom, I am sorry too for everything I had done. I was just an angry and arrogant teen." Silence enveloped the room for some time when Anand said, "Let's just move on from all this, mom. As you said, regret hardly helps. I am glad you came to meet my baby today."

Nandini smiled at Anand and got up to leave. He watched his mother exit his study. He was truly glad that his mother had a chat with him but moreover that she visited his home.

They were not used to each other, to show their affection and to bond like a normal mother son duo and probably that would take years since the guilt was still present in their hearts.

But nevertheless, it is the beginning of something.

And now, just one big thing was pending on his to-do list. He was going to do it sooner.

***

2/10/22

I know it's too late! Just having hectic days at work :(
Hope you guys are doing good!
Take care

Please Vote and Comment !!!