Fifty Eight

Her eyes met with the person standing infront of her, those eyes mirrored her husband's eyes.

It was her mother in law.

Gita had flashes of all her encounter with Nandini and especially the last one where she disrespected her. An awkward feeling surrounded Gita. In all their encounters, Nandini had warned her about Anand but all Gita did was ignore her and went to an extent of insulting her, an unusual behaviour for her. She looked around wanting to escape the situation. Was Nandini going to rub it in her face? Was she going to laugh at her for blindly trusting Anand despite her warnings? Ofcourse, she was!

Gita smiled a bit and wanted to leave this place, when Nandini insisted to join her for sometime. Gita couldn't deny her request and didn't want to come across as a rude person like the last time.

As she sat down with Nandini in the same restro bar, Gita said the words she was meaning to,

"I am sorry, Ma'am. I was very rude with you the last time we met. I shouldn't have behaved the way I did and I truly ashamed." Gita said with sincerity. She had judged Nandini without knowing the truth and believed Daddu. She was influenced by Daddu but Gita didn't believe in giving excuses like these while apologising. Even if Daddu had influenced her against Nandini, it was Gita herself who crossed the line.

Nandini gave her a tight lipped smile and shook her head. "It's okay, Gitanjali.  I forgot about all that. You don't need to say so much." There was a softness in her tone. Gita noticed Nandini didn't talk to her with the rudeness she talked to Anand.

"I heard your NGO students are going to be at a national level competition. Must say, you are doing a good job for them." Nandini saw how Gita's dull eyes shone at the topic. Her upset mood cheered up.

Gita smiled, this time for real, without any formality. "Yes! Well, I don't teach them those subjects but I got them the right tutors. I hope they win, seeing all the hardwork they are putting in." Gita eagerly told Nandini about the details of the students and the competition. Gita shut her mouth after realising how much she talked and looked a bit embarassed.

"No, go on. I like that you are so passionate about your work. Not everyone finds solace in their work." Nandini said.

"Actually my mother feels bad that I am just a teacher when I could have been so much more but I don't think anyone who teaches is just a 'mere' teacher. As a teacher, I want to give the children a safe space to talk and encourage them to dream big. I guess a child needs  someone who gives them hope that no thing is unachievable and I would like to be that person." Gita smiled. Nandini could see why Anand's father and everyone always praised Gitanjali. She really was a simple girl with big dreams, dreams that make a difference in the world.

"Gitanjali, your mother will soon understand that you are doing a great thing. The children are lucky to have you." Nandini praised her. Like Anand, even Nandini wasn't easy to impress but she liked this girl's honesty.

"Thank you Ma'am! You can call me Gita." Whenever Nandini said Gitanjali, she is reminded of Anand and Gita didn't want that in this moment.

"Only if you don't call me Ma'am. I know calling me mom would be awkward for you but no Ma'am." Gita agreed that calling her mom would be too awkward, so she settled on calling her aunty, much like Anand called Gita's mom.

"May I say something?" Gita asked and Nandini told her to go ahead and not to ask her permission.

"You are so different than I thought." Spending an hour and half with her and talking to her, Gita understood that she was not an arrogant lady she thought her to be. "I was so scared of you when I met you the first time, especially because of Isha...and Anand." She remembered how they made a big fuss about her dressing and only chose the best designer clothes for Gita, just because she was going to meet Nandini.