Four

hey! please vote :)

Gita

When I shook his hand, I didn't feel any sparks or electricity jolt passing through me and thank god for that, otherwise my hair would be worse than his.

His skin was rough which I didn't expect.

He went back to his chair and sat, the smile faded and he was back to being the authoritarian person I knew.

I just stood there as he had not told me to sit yet. I observed his office which was an amalgamation between classy and modern. The walls were painted in cool colours, while the furniture had a modern touch to it. The furniture designs were unlike I had ever seen before.

"Take a seat. We need to discuss something important."

I was pulled out of my daze by his voice. I took a seat but what I didn't know was that the next few minutes would have no discussion. It would be just his commands.

"I won't beat around the bush and talk about the weather, I will come straight to the point. I called you here to talk about our marriage."
Not at all blunt.

"What about it?" I questioned. I was a bit scared.

"There are certain things I want you to consider." He said with a straight face. I nodded as a sign for him to go ahead.

"Gitanjali, you are a responsible girl but also young and when you become a part of my family, I want you to be responsible and not reckless."

"What do you mean?" Was he saying I am reckless? The one thing I never was.

"You may not be reckless but I am saying you have to act responsibly, most of the time. Along with me, you will also be the face of the family. I don't want you to do anything that hurts my family's reputation. Are we clear?"

I felt like I was in school. Nevertheless, I nodded.

"Yes?" He was waiting for me to answer verbally.

"Yes."

"The next thing is I don't want you to disrespect anyone from my immediate family. I don't care what you say to the extended ones..."
I did not let him complete. He called me here to explain me these basic things?

"Anand, I was never reckless nor disrespectful. Did you seriously call me here to talk about all this?" I said as calmly as possible.

"What did you think? I will call you to select the decor of the wedding?" He said in a mocking tone which I detested. I was not a fool to expect him discussing the decor with me.

"Gitanjali, you are stepping into my world. I don't tolerate mistakes. You might think these are very basic things but just in a span of sitting here, you made two mistakes. I am just trying to tell you what is expected of you."

I was curious. "What mistakes?"

"You didn't answer with words. You are a teacher and yet, you nod. What do you teach the kids? You interrupted me while I was talking. Again, what do you teach the kids?"

Those words hit me. Why come unto my profession? I felt so hurt by his words and if he had said anything more, I would have cried.

"Oh! For God's sake, don't start crying."

"I am not."

"Your face says otherwise." Gitanjali didn't argue much.

After a moment, Anand said, "We will start again." He didn't even apologize!