Fifty Six

Gita was stunned hearing his words.  May be the question how can he say such things shouldn't be asked anymore. He has always said absurd things without remorse. The difference is he had avoided saying it to her as frequently as he say it to others.

"They always said you are cruel and cold. I never believed them. I had trust in my husband that somewhere, in his heart, he has warmth and mercy. Today, you- you proved them right." She had seen how his relatives were vary of him, scared to talk incorrect infront of him, him being named as one of the ruthless businessman in the country known for his cold attitude. But somewhere she thought he is better than what he is called.

She wiped her tears away, "Even though I am your wife and I love you... immensely, I am not someone who supports wrong." She wanted him to stop her and tell her he won't do any wrong, but why was she expecting it from the man whose pride was everything to him.

"I am leaving." It pained her to say these words. She wanted him to promise that he would stop his scheming ways but he didn't say it.

"Think again, you are going to regret it." Anand had only this to say to her.

Gita stared into his eyes like never before. Other times, she had love and mischief in her eyes when she looked at him. Today was different, she stared at him blankly. "Let's see who regrets."
Anand saw her look and knew she was not going to waver from her decision. Her most underrated quality was her steadiness. She was calm because she was steady. Sure, she was feared his anger but her stand were always firm. She always stood for what she felt is right and what her heart wanted.

Gita left the room and encountered Isha who was pacing in the living room. As soon as Isha saw Gita, she came towards her and said, "Gita, please don't ruin your relationship because of me. Don't leave the house." Isha felt terrible and more so because Gita was pregnant and this could affect her and the baby.

"I will return the day he realises he is doing wrong and stops this." Gita was in no mood to talk and went to her bedroom.

Isha contemplated if she should talk to Anand about this but she knew he won't pay her any heed, especially since he believe she ruined everything.

*

The door of Gita's house opened and Gita's mother was delighted to see her. After she had settled down, her parents asked if Anand was going somewhere on a business trip since Gita carried her bags. The other times she would never stay a night here even if her parents insisted.

Gita didn't know where to start, so she started by revealing the good news to her parents. Gita's mom's had her mouth wide open at the news! While her dad hugged her. She had never seen them this happy even when she got the award!

"Look baby, you are already more important than me, already!", Gita looked at her stomach.

Her parents constantly talked about how she should take care of herself, walk a bit slow and carefully, like Anand had told her.

Anand! He must not be thinking of her then why is she thinking of him? From today, she will try to not remember him on small things. He must be having fun on his business meetings and trying to destroy other's lives.

She went to her room and arranged her clothes in her cupboard. Unlike Anand's home, here there were no help to do these trivial things. Her phone rang and it was Papa. So, the news had reached him through Isha!

Her talk with Papa was short but it was comforting. He congratulated her and was elated with the news of arrival of baby in the family. He told her that he will make Anand understand but they both knew how difficult it is. He asked her to take care of herself and follow her diet very well. As she kept the phone, she realised how every person who knew the news had talked more to her about her pregnancy than Anand did.