Twenty Five.2

"So, this is your house." Gita stepped into the huge penthouse located at the 17th floor of the busy city. This was the first time she was coming to Anand's personal space. But there was no warm welcome with smiles and love, just unnecessary anger on Anand's face. The entire car ride he didn't speak a word and just stared at her twisted foot.
What surprised her was that he didn't allow her to keep her foot on the car floor. He took her leg and kept it on his lap. His hands gently massaging her foot, drawing circles on it and patting it. The setting sun falling on his face and forming half shadow. It looked like a model photoshoot to her. Yet, apart from the gesture, he didn't utter a word.

From the entrance door of his house, she could see the big terrace at the end,  the sky looking like it was on fire with the shades of orange and red merging together. Angry red just like Anand. It could have been a beautiful evening spent looking at the setting sun but Anand had to be angry at her for no fault of hers. "Are you still going to be upset like a child?" Gita asked.

He huffed but didn't say anything. He took her hand and put it around his shoulder and walked her to the couch. She saw him getting up and going to a room and coming back with a pain relief ointment. He handed it over to her to put it on her foot. "Anand, you called me a kid but you are behaving like a child. Still being angry for something that is not my fault." Gita told the spoilt brat the truth. She winced a little when the coolness of the ointment sprayed on her leg. It felt good for a second and later, she felt burn on her foot.

"What would have happened if you had lost your balance? You are not understanding the severity of -"

"But did something happen?" Gita interrupted him when his overthinking brain went overboard. "You are angry on something that 'would' have happen, hypothetical situation.  Let it go, Anand." Gita smiled saying the last line, so carefree. Anand truly wanted to let it go in that moment. Gita could have the world at her twisted foot, when she smiles. But he was not going to tell her this. He hated her for crumbling his walls, the one that noone had come close to and he would like it to remain that way.

He was not interested in marriage, right from the beginning of his teenage years. Like his other extended family members, he just wanted the inheritance from his old grandfather and live an easy life with lots of money and luxuries of the world. As a 13 year old, he did everything to please his grandfather and prove it to him that he is the golden child. The thought of easy life was appealing to an adolescent Anand, bloating in money and respect from people. But something shifted in him when he went to college,now, he genuinely wanted to earn the respect and fear, he wanted to do good for himself and work harder. He understood that khairat, something he inherited, won't go a long way and the only permanent solution is to work harder for his own self and earn things.
Then, there came the talk about his marriage with this clumsy sunshine of a human. At first, he had observed her just to see what made his grandfather think she can be the one for him. But the old inheritance thought was somewhere in the back of his mind. The name he carries makes him invincible. Even if he works hard, he would never reach the name his family got, so why not take due advantage of the name and work harder? He wasn't going to reject his grandfather's choice regardless of who it was. He had marry a gold digger, a cheater, anyone for the sake of his grandfather's wish, he would do it. Ater all,  that old man had tonnes of money and property. He wasn't going to let go of the original plan his teenage mind had deviced.

He was interested to see what was so special about the girl. A girl belonging from an ordinary family and average income. The entire wedding where they met, he focused on her to find the special thing. Alas, he was not able to spot anything.  But there came that day when he finally saw what his grandfather had the vision for. It was during a pooja, when all the kids were playing and suddenly the kids started screaming 'fire'. The commotion caused him to come out of the mansion and what he saw shocked him. A little girl's frock was burning from the hem and had come close to her knees, the other kids had distanced themselves and was screaming, Isha was calling out for water or a towel and Gita had put her hands in the fire and dust off the girl's clothes so that the fire would subdue and not come close to the girl. He didn't know whether to call it stupidity or bravery and had given both of them a lecture on it, later.

It was for the first time he had seen a teenager put others above herself and burnt her hand. Gita had carried the burns and scars for a year later on her hands and even today,  some of it is seen. He understood his grandfather. Indeed, she was selfless and would take care of the family well. Seeing her kindness, he was intrigued. He never knew kindness could be so attractive. The chubby cheeks girl who had an insane obsession of eating packets of sweets was now more attractive to him.  He didn't want to trap this kind soul and tie her with him and that's why he never made efforts to talk to her in these years. He had given her a chance to find someone average earning but good person like her. But who can avoid what destiny and fate? Indeed, this girl was meant for him. Today, seeing her hurt had made him angry. Always careless.

They were seated on the couch and he saw her looking at every piece of his decor. He was smug about it. He knew she was impressed looking at his space, after all it was designed by him. She craned her neck and looked at the scenic and grand terrace.

"Isn't your job to make beautiful homes?" Gita asked.

Anand was confused at the question but said yes.

"Then why is your home just a house?" Anand was stumped by Gita's question. Here, he thought there was a compliment coming his way but she was a critic. Anand asked her what she means.

"Don't get me wrong. The house is nice, I love the terrace and the colour of the wall suits it. The decor is also pretty. But there is something missing. I don't think it's cozy in nature. I don't get the homely vibe. It looks more of a property that is neatly kept to sell it."

Anand pondered over it and looked around. Everything was arranged neatly. The decor did suit it. Then, a vibe was missing? What? How? For the first time, he had nothing to say. He has to do something about it so the next time she is here, she doesn't feel something is missing.

"How much time do you spend here?" Gita questioned him.

"2 hours in the morning and at midnight I come to sleep." Anand answered honestly.

"Hmm. That's why may be. So, your home has to feel your energy and even you should stay more here. Give it sometime and your house will look more lively, cozy and soon will become your home. These are just plain walls right now. I know to you, this might sound crazy but spend more timehere and you will see the difference. Right now, you use it just like a lodge." Anand nodded, not having much to say. His home really lacked a personality?

"Anand, can we please see the sunset at the terrace? Please!" Gita pleaded looking at Anand. She knew he might not allow it as it would put more pressure on her feet but she really wanted to see the sunset with him. It was perfect moment in her head and to her surprise, Anand didn't nag her about her feet. He agreed! He gave her his hand and she took it and  walked toward the grand terrace. The sunset was so beautiful today with the hues of orange and red. Their silhouette standing at the edge and him holding her. She loved the sky! On the other hand, it was his first time standing at his terrace and watching the sunset. So, she was indeed right. He need to spend more time here to make it his home.

When he told her that it was his first time looking at the sunset from his terrace, she had a look of astonishment but smiled at him and said, "and so many more to come! We will make it a point to do this every week. Okay, Anand?"

He hummed and took hold of her waist and kept his neck on her shoulder. May be, this was his true home!

_____________________

Aaahhh!! I updated.  Personally, I loved this moment of theirs, I had not planned it at all. Sometimes, I feel like they come to life and tell me what to write.

I know i should be more regular. But guys, did you like this chapter? I was not able to explain  properly how she helped the little kid from the fire. I don't know if they are the correct words to explain what I want to. So if any English expert want to help, please do.

Please please  VOTE and COMMENT.

Be safe and healthy
Byee❤❤
Love you all.