Forty Eight

They reached home in silence, both not saying a word about what had happened.

When Gita started walking towards their bedroom, Anand's voice stopped her.

"What you did today was very disappointing. I never expected this behaviour from you." Anand's voice was heavy. At first, all he wanted was to yell at Gita for her behaviour with his mother. But the silence in the car gave him time to analyze to his usually sweet wife's behaviour. What provoked her to behave the way she did? He had not once seen her behave in this manner to anyone. She had often speak to him in anger when they fought or had a disagreement but today, she had bitterness in her tone. His wife was never bitter towards anyone, then why to his mother?

"And what did you expect? That woman can go on insulting you and you expect me to keep quiet?" Gita was surprised at his calm behaviour. The man who carried the ego the size of a mountain didn't retaliate once to the woman who kept on insulting him.

"Anand, I know my behaviour was not right. But, I cannot tolerate someone saying bad things to you." This was a wife speaking.

"Gitanjali, that is not someone. That is my mother. She can say anything to me. Even if it hurts me, she has every right to say things to me." Anand tried explaining Gita who still carried rage in her eyes for the woman who spoke ill about her husband.

"Okay. I am happy about the respect you carry towards her in your heart. But forgive me, I will not allow anyone to speak things that will hurt you. Be it your mother as well." Gita was never stubborn or assertive in her stance. She was always open to opinions and understood others perspective then why was she so firm with her anger towards his mother?

Anand sighed. He didn't want his wife to carry animosity for his mother. He tried once again to change her perspective. "Gitanjali, she said those things to me.She never said anything to you. Then why are you so angry?"

"Anand, we are life partners. I truly consider you my other half. It's simple - what hurts you, hurts me."
Gita can't even imagine his own mother calling him shameful and all the bitter things she said. How can a mother say such things to her own child?

For Anand, it was not simple. What Gita said swelled his heart with unknown emotions. He was overwhelmed with her words. He knew she didn't understand the heaviness of her simple words. Her protectiveness towards his emotions melted his heart.

Since childhood, his grandfather took care of him and taught Anand to never let anyone hurt his pride. But this was the first time, someone was protective of his heart and emotions.

"Gitanjali, forget it, baby." He was a loss of words and this was the only thing he could say at the moment.

"I am not like you to be unaffected or unbothered by things. I cannot detach myself quickly from hurtful situations. Give me time."

Anand touched his aching head and told her to freshen up, they can talk later.

×××

"Still angry?" Anand asked touching his wife's hot forehead. It felt like she was burning in anger.

"No." Her anger had calmed down but she was still bothered by her 'mother-in-law's' words.

"Gitanjali, please don't be angry at my mother. And what she said is true, I have done things that has made her upset with me." He urged her with pleading voice, truly not wanting her to misunderstand his mother.

Gita asked Anand to sit beside her on the couch. "I wouldn't be upset if she said things when you have done something wrong. But today? Today, you just greeted her and in return, she said unnecessary things to you." Gita told him her problem.