Five

Infront of us, Harish, his driver, was already there with the car. This car is different than the one he picked me up in.
He opened the door for us. I thanked him and got in.
I looked outside the window, this exit hardly has people. I can only see the security and few cars.

When I looked at Anand, he asked me what am I looking at? After I questioned about this gate being practically isolated, he smiled and said, "This exit is exclusively for me and no employees are allowed. Me and my family are the only ones who use it."

"You don't use your car?" He asked.

"I used to. But few years back, I got stuck in traffic for hours and I vowed not to use it for daily commute. Especially in this city!"
He just laughed at it.

I can never forget that day. My home was hardly fifteen minutes away and I was stuck in the traffic for hours. Unlike him, I had no driver so I can't even abandon my car.

I looked outside the window as the car went at full speed passing through trees and beautiful houses.

I am still the child who gets excited about window seats and prefer looking through the window, the entire time. My cousins get annoyed at me because I hardly concentrate on what they are saying and continue to stare out.

This part of the city is for the elites. I don't travel here often but it's beautiful!

I looked at Anand who was busy on his laptop.

"You were so busy looking outside so I thought let's do some work, till the time we reach." He said without looking at me.

He could have looked outside as well.

The car stopped. When I looked outside, we were near 'Sebastian'.
It was one of the expensive and popular restaurants of the city where one could often spot celebrities. I always wanted to go here but as I started earning, I realised even though, with my average salary, I could afford to pay for the food here but after that, I will have to cut all my other expenses for an entire month. It's simply not for someone with my salary.

I know Anand is filthy rich but I am not ready to cut out on my other expenses just for one lavish dish.

"Why are we here?" I asked Anand.

He thought I am asking a weird question.

"Usually people come here for lunch."

"But why here? Can't we go somewhere else?"

"This has recently become my favourite in town. If you don't like it here then may be we should reconsider the marriage." His tone was flat but I knew from his face he was joking.

And he says I am bad at jokes.

"I am kidding. But at least, not as poisonous as your jokes are...if you want to call them one."

I pondered for a moment and then I finally thought of telling him my reason.

"Anand, I am serious. I can't spend so much just on a plate of food."

I don't care if he mocks me. It might be embarrassing to say this but it's the truth and if we are going to get married, the least I can do is be honest.

He was confused with what I said. He asked me what am I taking about?

"I don't think I want to spend my money at such an expensive place."

"Gitanjali, I don't think you got the memo. I am paying."

Oh ...oh!

"Uh...consider it our first date. And because I brought you here, I will pay." He said.