Sixty Three

He stared at her.

"Since when this has been going on?" He asked her coldly, a hint of anger in his tone. She told him the entire story of how Nandini met her.

"Why Gitanjali? I told you I don't want you to hide things from me and yet you continue to do it. When I tell you almost everything, why can't you atleast tell me the important parts?" He asked but before Gita could say anything further, he said, "Nevermind. Continue to keep things to yourself and do what you think is right. Good night." He switched off the lights, took the blanket and slept on his side, turning his face away from her.

"Anand." She tried to turn him around to make her face him but he didn't budge. She called him again but he gave her no response.

"Anand." She called him again.

"Sleep, Gitanjali." He just said that.

The next morning as they had their breakfast, she saw Anand silently eating his food, not looking her way. She stared at him till he looked back at her.

"It's uncomfortable. Stop that." It worked! She smiled.

"Yesterday, I didn't insist. But talk to me. Rant if your are upset but yun khafa na raho." She said the last line dramatically with her lashes swiftly moving.

"Gitanjali, I don't want you to meet her. She has been leading her life happily and I don't want you or any of us to be a part of her world or create issues for her." He explained.

"Why are you saying this? I haven't forced her to talk to me. And what is the problem? First when she was not there, you wanted her and now, when she wants to be around us, you are not ready." Gita asked genuinely.

"See, I don't want her to be disappointed or be angry because of anything we do. And the better way is to just live how we are - by being far away from each other." She so wanted to tell him about the conversation Nandini had with her but it was not her place to tell him about her insecurities and the guilt Nandini carries for not being for her children.

"But Anand-"

"Listen Gitanjali, do whatever you want. I gave my opinion. But what you do is your wish. I have to leave now." He came towards her and kissed her forehead.

She was stunned for a good minute or two. What had happened to her husband? Six months back, he would have made sure what he says goes, but today, he just expressed his opinion and left. His ways have definitely changed!

Today, after work, Daddu and Anand's father had called her. She visited their mansion after a long time.

Daddu, as usual, gave her luxurious gifts and some more jewellery. Gita loved the gifts for baby, they were small but cute. She told Daddu that she would only be taking the baby's gifts and nothing for herself.

"You have to take all the gifts. There is no room for argument." Daddu said sitting in his huge wooden chair, like a boss.

The argument went on for more 5 minutes and Gita finally convinced Daddu. "To be honest, how much ever I will give you, it is less compared to what you added in my Anand's life."

"I just hope he doesn't hold any grudge towards me anymore." Gita was astonished to hear this. Did Daddu know that Anand somewhere blames Daddu for whatever happened in the past with Nandini? Daddu laughed a bit  seeing Gita's expression who couldn't hide the shocked expression on her face.

"You think I don't see how he only talks to me about business and deals? It's been years that he sat with me to have a hearty talk. May be that's what I have to live with for the rest of my life." Gita just listened intently. Daddu was a powerful man and one doesn't need to know this from others, his presence was enough to make you understand he  is someone important and powerful. His command was the final one. His eyes never softened or had emotions in them except when it was about his grandchildren.