Football Buddies

"C'mon Sam, I always watch your games with you, can't you watch this with me? I'll teach you the rules and you'll become a fan in no time" you whined to Sam as you hopped onto the couch. "No way Y/N, I don't like your game" Sam said grabbing a bowl of chips while sitting opposite to you on the couch. "Steve?" he just looked at you and shook his head no. "But if you're a fan of NFL and College Football, you'll be a fan of this kind, I promise!" you said to both men as Sam reached for the remote. Bucky was sitting in the corner of the living room reading a book, but he was keeping a watchful eye on your conversation.

You loved football, but you especially loved the CFL game. Since you were Canadian, you had been going to the games since you were six years old and knew everything about the game, teams, rules, and players. You always tried getting Sam and Steve to watch a game with you. When they finally agreed last season, they had too many annoying questions you knew they knew the answers to, they were just being irritating with them. They started making fun of the rules and eventually, you just gave up and left them alone.

You always watched football with Sam and Steve when there wasn't any training, meetings, or missions happening. It was your way to relax and bond with them and you loved it. They were your best friends at the compound. Not that you weren't friends with anyone else, you just preferred hanging out with them the most because they were great to be around. Bucky was always around as well and was a good friend to have, he was quieter and preferred to observe rather than be a part of the conversations you had only speaking up when he felt he needed to.

You enjoyed hanging out with Bucky one on one as he seemed to open up to you at times. He would always ask about your day, the shows you were watching, and how your training was going. He even helped you with giving you tips on fighting and had you change a few things you were doing so they would be easier. You liked that about him.

"I'm changing the channel to something else" Sam smirked at you while flicking the channels. "Ugh, fine then, I'll watch the game somewhere else" you huffed as you stood up from the couch and went to find another free TV. You didn't feel like watching the game on the small TV in your room as you preferred watching sports on a large screen.

You ended up in the games room a floor below everyone else and flopped on the couch there. The games room was a smaller room, had a pool table and an old ping-pong table in the corner. There was a smaller couch in the room, no big chairs, but you didn't mind since it was only you in there anyways.

No one you knew used the ping-pong table and wondered why it was there when you heard footsteps in the room. "Hi Y/N" Bucky said sitting down next to you. "Hi Buck" you said flipping through the channels. "What are you doing here?" you said with your eyes still on the screen. "Thought you could use some company" was all Bucky said as he watched the screen. "I'm trying to find the game. My team is playing and it's the opening game of the season" you said.

Once you finally found the channel, you put down the remote and watched the screen intently. The broadcasters were going over the teams and the past years games when you turned to look at Bucky. "You know I'm watching CFL and not American Football, right?" you said suspiciously looking at him. "I know" was all Bucky said and smiled. "Ok then, if there is anything you have a question with, I'd be happy to pause the game and explain" you said turning back to the game.

You were wearing your favourite blue and gold football t-shirt and leggings and snuggled up on the couch as the game started. Every so often you would look at Bucky to see if he was even watching, or zoning out, but he seemed to be enjoying the game so far. You expected him to give up and leave at the end of the first quarter but that wasn't the case as he stayed right next to you on the couch.

Occasionally, he would ask a question about the formations, or rules. You happily answered and he nodded while you explained the game. You explained the three downs, no yards, what the single point is called (a rouge), the waggle, and some other quarks the Canadian game has that the NFL doesn't and he seemed to get it. He laughed at you when you swore at the TV and giggled when you threw your pillow at the screen in disgust, but he kept watching along with you. "See, that's what happens when you yell at the TV. They eventually hear you and decide to play better" you said while smiling. Bucky laughed and rolled his eyes. At half time, he went to grab some more drinks and a bowl of chips and returned jumping over the back end of the couch right next to you. "Thanks" you said reaching for a drink. "No problem" he said smiling at you.