Cooking

You were in a briefing with the rest of the team about an upcoming long mission. Since you weren't cleared for any missions because you were still recovering from the last one. Your ankle was heeling since being broken and the medical team felt you needed one more week of rest. You sat in-between Wanda and Nat looking over the intel that was gathered, giving your opinion every so often. The other side of the table was Sam and Bucky who's eyes you thought had glazed over from Steve going on and on about team safety. Whenever you spoke, Bucky would keep his eyes on you even after you finished.

"OK, Wanda and Sam, you will be positioned on the outskirts of the compound leaving Nat and I to breach the inside and gather the intel we need." Steve said pointing to the map. 

"What about Bucky?" Sam asked. 

"He'll be staying here for this mission" Steve said bluntly. 

You looked over at Bucky who seemed a little sad about it, but he nodded to the group and returned to watching you. You looked away but you could feel the redness creeping up in your face.

You were relieved that you wouldn't be alone in the compound while the others were away, just that you were now a little on edge about being alone with Bucky. The two of you got along well, mainly because the man hardly says anything to you, he's just always around and quiet. He tends to sit back and observe rather than participate. He is usually found hanging out with Steve and on occasion Sam, but mostly he sticks to himself. You catch him watching everyone intently and are somewhat uneasy when his piercing blue eyes are on you, but you usually can ignore them.

"We leave this afternoon and should be back in a few weeks if everything goes well" Steve said before dismissing everyone. 

Nat caught up to you while you were heading to the kitchen for some lunch. 

"What are you going to do here alone with Barnes?" Nat asked as she sat down at the kitchen table with you. 

"Honestly, it'll be fine." you said eating your apple. "I'm looking forward to cooking for myself though" you joked with her. 

"Do I sense some romantic dinners ahead?" Nat teased. 

"Nat!" you shrieked at her. 

You usually cooked for the whole team, even throwing in some baked good now and then. You enjoyed cooking and baking, trying new recipes, and having a large crowd to feed. Sometimes though you wanted someone else to take the lead and cook, but it never really happened so you just did it for them so you could eat.

Both you and Bucky saw the team off in the hangar. When the jet flew away you turned to Bucky to see what his plans were. 

"So, what do you have planned for tonight?" you asked Bucky as you were walking back into the compound. 

"Uh, not much" he said looking at you funny. 

"Ok, dinner is at 6 if you want to join me" you said as you turned to the kitchen thinking he would follow you. He didn't and must have gone up to the quarters.

Alright you thought to yourself as you shrugged your shoulders. You pulled out some chicken to grill, made a salad, and peeled some potatoes for roasting. You put a few extra potatoes and a few extra pieces of chicken for Bucky not knowing what he was doing. You wanted to be nice without prying too much at him and figured leftovers are always an option if he wasn't interested.

Once the food was made you sat down at the table and waited a few minutes. After a few minutes you didn't want the food turning cold, so you began to eat. Alone. You ate alone knowing Bucky was around. It hurt a little knowing he would rather sit in his room than join you, but you shrugged it off. Maybe he lost track of time and was in the gym, so you didn't want to scold him not knowing his reason.