The Veteran's Ball

You had just gotten back from a grueling weeklong mission with your new mission partner Bucky. You and he spent the entire week together, 24 hours a day. Sure, it was nice to have him around. He was the best mission partner you could ask for. He didn't really talk a whole lot, was reliable, smart, and always had your back. What more could you ask for? You had gotten to know each other well from being on this mission and perhaps re-igniting your crush you had on him when you first joined the team.

Sam was the only one who knew your feelings for Bucky. Sam was your best friend. You loved him like a brother to you. He was funny, smart, and caring. Him and Bucky didn't really get along that well but if they were out on a mission together, they made it work.

After supper, you were sitting on one of the comfy chairs in the living room of the compound reading a book. You must have dozed off because when you woke up, you had a fuzzy blanket on you, your book sat neatly on the coffee table with the bookmark in its place, and the blinds next to you were closed so the sunset wouldn't be hitting you directly in your eyes. You looked around sleepily and noticed Bucky across from you watching TV. No one else was around. He glanced over at you and gave you a small smile, then he went back to watching the TV. You couldn't help but blush lightly, quickly moving your head down so he wouldn't notice.

Did he do this for me? You thought to yourself as you stretched out your arms and back. Just then you noticed Steve and Sam walk in and sit down on the couch and chair next to you. 

"Hey, Sleeping Beauty" Sam teased as he grabbed the remote from Bucky. 

You scowled at him but smiled. 

"I'm tired" you said as you were getting up from the chair. You folded the blanket and grabbed your book to head to your room.

As you were putting your book away on your bookcase, a knock came at the door. Your back was to the door "C'mon in" you said not paying attention to who was there. 

"Um, hi" a voice said from the doorway. It was Bucky. 

"Hi Bucky" you said as you turned around to face him. 

"What's up?" as you sat down on your bed looking at him. 

"Um, well, I..." he was standing awkwardly looking around the room. 

"I was wondering...there's this thing" he quietly said. 

You were looking at him intently waiting for him to spit out his words. 

"This thing next weekend...I was wondering if you had any plans?" he said quietly looking around.

"It's a Veteran's Charity Ball Steve, Sam, and I are going to" he said now meeting your eyes. 

"I was wondering if you would like to go with me?" he asked in a hopeful tone.

You remained calm on the outside while your insides were doing flips and flops and cartwheels. 

"Oh, sure, I'd love to go with you" you said smiling at Bucky. 

"Really?" he asked looking at you. 

"Yeah, sounds like it would be fun" you said smiling at him. 

"It's in DC" Bucky said. 

"Steve, Sam, and I were planning on going and we are allowed one date each if we want" he said now sitting down on the edge of your bed. 

"Ok" you said. "Do I have to wear a gown and everything?" you asked. 

You knew full well what he was asking you to go to since Sam talked your ear off about it over the past month, even sending you texts about it while you were on your mission. You knew Steve was going but didn't think Bucky would want to go.