Reading Buddies

You were the newest member of the team, only being at the Avengers Compound for just over two months, you were slowly starting to settle in, but it took you longer to open up to everyone. You were quite shy, usually keeping a distance from the main group who were all so close and loud, but you didn't mind. They involved you as much as you wanted, and generally left you alone if you felt you wanted a break.

At night you were usually found in what you referred to as the library. It was a large room, with two comfortable chairs that seemed to wrap you up and hug you as you sat in them, and a large comfortable couch located in front of a fireplace. This room seemed to be the quietest, so you tended to grab one of your many books you brought with you and snuggle up with a blanket.

It wasn't long until a certain chestnut haired, blue-eyed super soldier started joining you in the library with books of his own. The first time he joined you, you sat in one of the chairs snuggled in your blanket with a cup of tea beside you. He walked back and forth in front of the room a few times before you noticed. The third time he walked by you caught his eye and smiled at him. That seemed to be what he needed to walk in and sit down on the couch, opposite of you, and start reading a book of his own.

You didn't mind the company at all since he was quiet and kept to himself. At first, you both were wrapped up in your books to have any long conversations apart from a 'hello' or a quick 'how's it going?'. You didn't mind at all. Of course, you thought he was handsome. Who wouldn't with his ocean blue eyes, warm smile, rock hard body, and thick head of hair? You had to remind yourself you were there for a job and not to meet anyone, plus, he was always with Steve and when you saw him at a few parties you attended, he seemed quite in his element chatting with the ladies. He would never be interested in someone like you, you always told yourself.

When he was in the library with you, you would watch him carefully, stealing quick glances from time to time. You would notice his facial expressions change with the pages he was reading and always wanted to ask him about one of his books, but you were too shy. Whether his nose would scrunch up, his eyes would enlarge, or face would frown, it usually made you lightly giggle.

"What? What is it?" he asked as you couldn't help but let out a slight giggle at his face. 

"Nothing" you said as your face was a slight pink colour. 

You were slightly embarrassed he caught you giggling at him, so you put your head down and resumed reading. He continued watching you as you read your book. 

"What are you reading there?" he asked looking directly at you while he put his book down on his lap. 

"Oh, ah, it's a book" you said as you fumbled with the pages. 

"I know that, but what are you reading? What's the story about?" he asked with a chuckle. 

"Oh, it's just a silly fluffy book, nothing with much context. I prefer reading these as it gets my mind off things, and I like getting wrapped up in a silly story" you said putting your book down.

 He nodded his head. 

"I tend to read romance books, ones that have happy endings because I want that for the characters" you admitted. 

"So, you like romance?" Bucky asked with his eyebrows raised and his piercing eyes locked on yours. 

"Well...yes...book wise I guess...I'm not used to romance in any other way" you stuttered and looked down. 

Why was he making you blush like a schoolgirl? You wondered.

"I'll keep that in mind then" he replied returning to his book. 

You nodded and went back to your book. Holy cow, you wanted to melt away not only from his words, but you thought you couldn't have been more of a dork. You grabbed your book and empty mug and headed out of the library, leaving Bucky alone with a smile on his face.