Happy? Birthday

You had woken up extra early since today was your birthday. To say you were excited was an understatement. You liked birthdays and was always supportive when anyone was celebrating one but today was special. This was going to be your first birthday as part of the team since you had arrived at the compound shortly after your birthday at the start of the year.

Everyone always had plans for their special days. Whether it was a BBQ pool party, a night out to a club with VIP service, or to a wild theme park with crazy rides, everyone always got to choose what they wanted to do on their day. Since your birthday was in the wintertime, you were slightly limited to what you could do activity wise. You always hated your birthday in the wintertime since you felt like you had to do a lot of indoor activities because of the weather. This time though, you were thinking of heading to the lake at the compound for some skating, a bonfire, and possibly roasting some wieners and marshmallows since the weather was decent out.

You made your way to the kitchen eager to tell everyone what you had planned when you noticed Sam and Nat sitting at the table talking. Steve and Bucky were arriving back from their mission in the early afternoon, so you wanted to gather some supplies for the evening. Both Steve and Bucky were your close friends at the compound, Bucky more so than Steve as the two of you instantly hit it off right from the beginning. It must have been the sassy insult you threw Sam's way on your first day that made Bucky take notice of you as Steve told you that was the loudest he has heard Bucky laugh since the 40's. Nat told you numerous times Bucky had a crush on you, but you always scoffed at her and rolled your eyes.

"Morning guys" you said smiling at them like an idiot. 

"Morning" they both grumbled into their mugs of coffee. 

You stood there staring at them a little seeing if they were going to wish you a Happy Birthday, but they didn't say anything. 

"You ok Y/N?" Sam asked. 

You stood there staring at them trying telepathically to remind them it was your birthday, but it didn't work. You just smiled at Sam and nodded. You watched Sam get up from his spot and announce he was heading to visit his sister and was going to be away for a few days. He patted your arm and left the kitchen while Nat got up and put her cup in the dishwasher. You smiled at her thinking your good friend would have remembered your birthday, but she walked past you and announced she was going to DC for a few days to visit Pepper who was there on business.

You stood there staring at the now empty room suddenly feeling like an awkward loser. No one had wished you a Happy Birthday on your special day. You were bummed and sad to say the least. You turned around and headed back to your bedroom to have a shower and relax. Since the compound was empty with everyone else being away on a mission or away in general, it was only you that was there. Alone. On your birthday that no one had remembered. You were a little salty too. You always remembered everyone's birthday and always made a cake for them, or a special treat if they weren't interested in cake but so far, no one even acknowledged it.

You slinked down to the kitchen and made yourself lunch when you noticed a Quinn Jet fly in. Thinking it was Steve and Bucky back from their mission, you headed to the hangar to greet them. When you noticed it was a few lower-level agents who got out, you hung your head down and returned to the kitchen to finish your lunch.

When supper rolled around, you still had not received any texts or calls from anyone about your birthday, so you were still miserable. You also had no idea where Steve and Bucky were since they were supposed to be back in the afternoon, and it was dark out. You grabbed some leftover pizza from the fridge that you thought was Nat's, but you didn't care because you were mad and annoyed. You went back to your room and put on a movie to hopefully get your mind off things. To someone looking at you from the outside, your reaction to having no one wish you well on your special day would seem childish, but you were sad because all you wanted was to be acknowledged and perhaps a small chocolate cake. You could care less about the presents, as all you want to do is have fun with your friends on your special day.