Chapter One.

Chapter One.

I climb up the fence much easier after just leaving my bag on the other side of the fence to see what's here.

I gasped as I saw the sight in front of me. It was like a city, within a fence. Why has this city been closed off to the rest of the world?

How come this place isn't on the map?

There was a tall glassy building in the centre of the city, and around it was more glassy buildings, and then I could just see huge grey blocks, which I presume are houses or factory buildings.

Nope, houses. I could see families leaving their homes. Like they were going somewhere in a rush.

Pulling back when I spot a truck driving past, and men and women stepped out wearing black clothing. Several more men and woman dropped off the fence and got into the truck. Switching places.

Run away. Quick. My thoughts snap at me, but I ignored them completely.

After running behind several trucks, hiding as I got closer to the city, I see loads of teenagers around my age line in long groups.

There was from five lines, all with different colours.

Black, white, coloured, grey and blue.

Each group was stood in front of the door, each with words: Erudite, Candor, Abnegation, Amity and Dauntless.

What was this? Was this some sort of religions that I was unaware about? Some sort of gangs?

A silver train roared far way and the teenagers screamed and wooped loudly. I think I'm going to have a headache after today.

"What are you doing, Candor?" A voice snapped behind me. I span around and spot a man, glaring down at me.

Candor? I'm Cassie.

"Well? Get in line with the others!" He growled, pushing me towards the others with white clothing. As I was last in line, nobody spared a glance at me, and none asked why there was a new face.

I didn't need the attention.

As we walked in, we were welcomed by a man and we had to write our names on a piece of paper, and on the bottom was the word Candor.

What does this word even mean? Candor sound like some sort of gang.

Walking in, I sat next to a boy, in the section of white. My hands clammed up at the thought of being caught. What would they do to me of I get caught? Killed? Tortured? Or even worse, throw me out and I would have to go back to my Dad?

A lady wearing blue spoke at the front of the stage. "Welcome!" She smiled at the sea of colours in front of her. "We all know why we are here today, to choose our factions."

Everyone followed with "Factions before Blood."

What the hell was going on?

After her speech, she called up a name, and the boy stood up next to me and headed towards the large stage. He was given a knife, which he used to cut his hand with, and let his blood drip into one of the five bowls: the one with coal.

The teenagers in black swooped again, and even one of them engulfed the boy in a hug.

Was this a ceremony? It sure as hell looked like it.

Some time later, my name was called. I froze and eventually got to my feet, and copied what everyone else did before me.

I walked up to the stage and looked down at the five bowls briefly. What the heck am I doing? I don't belong here!

The knife was given to me, I shakily dragged its tip into the palm of my hand and I barely felt it with the adrenaline flowing within me. I could feel my heart break dancing in my throat.

I looked at the five bowls in front of me, but not as long as I did with the bowl with hot coal.

I held my hand over the bowl, and watched my blood dripped slowly into the bowl. The coal made my blood sizzle and boil.

"Dauntless!" The man, Marcus Eaton, yelled, and the swarm of teenagers in black wooed and cheered. Okay, I could totally use some paracetamol right now.

I headed over to them and we all ran out the building. I followed them all to the station (after climbing up a ladder). The train rounded the corner and I ran after the other "Dauntless" who swung themselves into the train.

I gripped the handles hard as my palms began to clam up again and easily pulled myself in, and almost sitting on another person.

"Sorry." I murmured and the person just shot glares at me. So I slipped into the sea of Dauntless.

Dauntless... Was this a community, as well as Candor? I don't know.

I nearly fainted as I spot many others jumping off the train and onto a building roof. Am I seriously going to go through this?

Totally!

Jumping off the train, for a split second I felt free. Until I crashed onto the pebbled roof, grazing my hands and elbows. Ow!

Curiously, I followed the others and I let myself be near the back, but close enough that I could see. I wasn't sure what I'm doing yet I'm doing it.

I think my Dad would kill me if he ever finds me. That is, before someone finds out I'm from beyond the fence.

Do they even do punishments for trespassing here? Probably.

We were all crowded around two men that stood on the wall at the edge of the building.

"Welcome initiates, my name is Eric and I am a Dauntless Leader. This is Max, the Head of Dauntless." Eric says clearly.

Eric's skin was pale against the dark clothing he wore, his shoulders were broad as well as his jaw. His eyes were hard just like his piercing above his right eyebrow.

Max's skin was coppery, and his eyes lit with amusement as he scanned all of the "initiates". Was initiates another word for soliders?

"The only way into the Dauntless compound is to jump." He continued, and a smirk slipped on to his face as he watched our discomfort. "Jump down there." He threw his thumb over his shoulder. I knew that there was a massive gap where there was no building.

And he wants us to jump? To my death?

"So, who's going first?"

Really?!