Chapter Twenty Six.

Chapter Twenty Six.

The next morning, I woke with cramp shooting up and down my spine.

I sat up, rubbing at the sore spot for a minute or two, then I was rubbing my eyes from sleep.

The door opened, and stepped in Eric. He was holding a pillow and a thin blanket.

"It didn't occur to me that you didn't have these this morning." He said coolly. "At least you can have a decent place to sleep while being examined."

"Examined isn't the word I would have used." I smiled weakly as I took the stuff from him. "I would have used... Tortured." I shrugged, getting to my feet.

Eric paused for a moment. "Jeanine wants to do another one before we transfer you."

"What? Now? But I haven't eaten yet!" I exclamined, then I noticed Eric's trademark smirk. "Wait, you've got something, haven't you?"

Eric pulled a breakfast bar from his pocket. "I said I wouldn't let anything bad happen to you."

"Thanks." I gobbled up the bar before you could say your name. "At least I can count on you to bring me food." I flashed him a smile, which he returned.

"We better go." Eric curled his hand around mine, before apologising before we left the room.

We returned to the room, the same room as yesterday. The only thing different was that there was a thin table besides the table that I will be lying on, with at least five needles with serum.

"What's happening today?" I question, eyeing the needles.

"She's going to use the truth serum." Eric's eyes widened in fear.

Oh no.

This means trouble.

Serious trouble.

***

Jeanine was held up for another ten minutes, so Eric took the liberty to strap me down the table, but leaving some room for my hands to breathe.

"Sorry about that. We just had a Divergent walk straight in." She shot me a smirk. "Can you guess who?"

Obviously, she only wanted me to guess because that someone is close to me.

"Fou-Tobias?" I questioned. No, he's too sensible for that. "Tris?"

Jeanine grinned. "Beatrice Prior. She walked straight in. I guess she isn't as tough as you thought."

No! What was Tris thinking?!

What happened to staying put?!

Eric faded into the background. If Jeanine wasn't here, I would have told him to leave. To run if I spilt the beans.

No, I won't spill the beans. I made a promise, and I'm planning on keeping it for as long as I can.

Jeanine picked up a needle, and flicked her fingers against its tip before inserting it into my arm.

I glared at her, but she only just let out a small chuckle in return. "That was the truth serum. If you fight it, it will hurt. So either way, you're going to cooperate with us."

I squeezed my eyes shut, back arching as I could feel the serum pulse around inside me. I didn't like the feeling, it was like you can't escape.

And this time, I can't escape.

Even if I did escape, where would I go? Dauntless and Erudite are at every corner. And if Eric helped me escape, he would be shot. I'm sure.

Jeanine rolled over a chair, before sitting on it with her right leg crossed over the other. She had a clipboard in one hand, a pen in the other.