Chapter Three.

Chapter Three.

The training room was exactly how I imagined it: big, bright and the stench of sweat just made me want to get the hosepipe on everyone here.

But I'd probably get punished if I did that.

I stood by Eric, with a few other initiates who I didn't know. He grinned as there was three of us in his group.

I hate Four. Putting me with him? What was he thinking?

Is it a little bit late to change groups?

"We, my fellow initiates, are going to run. In pairs." Instantly, the other two grabbed each other; unfortunately leaving me with Eric as my partner.

Yep, a little too late now...

"Candor." He said shortly. "Right, you pair are going to run the perimeter as fast as you can." He flashed a smirk. He pulled out a timer. "Three... Two... One... Go!"

Then there was Eric and I.

Crossing my arms, I stepped back. Away from the dangerous man.

"I really wouldn't push my buttons, Candor." He said, glancing at his timer before at me. "I would advise against it."

My hot temper got the best of me. "Don't be such an asshole, then." I growled lowly as I spot Tris on the mat fighting a tall lad. She was winning. "And my name is Cassie."

Honestly, was it that hard to call me Cassie?!

Eric span around and glared down at me. "Don't tell me what to call you, Cassie. And keep the attitude up and I might just punish you." He shot a smirk my way, before calling to the other partners their time: three minutes fifty nine.

I can totally beat that. I did athletics at my school and won first place three years running.

Eric shot a smirk my way again before handing one of the initiates the timer. "When you're ready." He said.

I shot Eric a smile. I knew I was going to win. I was going to kick his sorry ass into tears.

"Go!" The initiate said and immediately I threw myself forwards. Eric was running just ahead, so I followed him around the perimeter.

I let him think he was going to win, but at the last second I over took him and cross the finish line.

"You're slow, even for a Dauntless Leader." I spoke as Eric shot me glares, but I could see a ghostly smile on his face. "And you're sure I was going to lose." I gave him a smirk when Four shouted a guy named Kai and me to fight.

"Good luck, initiate. You won't win all fights." Eric smirked and turned to face the new initiates to run around the perimeter.

Kai was slightly smaller than me, a bit handsome. If my best friend was here, she'd "tap" that. Do they even say that here?

Probably not with everything being strange in the ground within the fence.

As well as I took athletics, my friend suggested that I should take self defence lessons. With what my Dad wanted me to do, I did. He didn't know because I always told him that I was going to gym.

My heart panged at the thought of him.

Why don't I channel my anger caused by my Dad, to Kai? I thought. That would make me win, I'm sure.

"Go!" Four said, he had his arms crossed and Tris was next to him with an ice pack to her jaw.

I ducked as Kai went to throw a punch at me. My coach taught me that the opponent always steps forward to punch.

I never appreciated that tip as much as I do now. I have a home (does it even count as a home?) and I am not going back to my Dad to marry that man. No way.

I'm planning on staying here even if I have a death wish. No matter how long it takes.

Kai went to punch again and I gripped his wrist, twisted while throwing a kick at his side. He wheezed and I kicked him at the back of the leg.

"No one conceeds." Eric's voice echoed the room as he came to stand besides Four. Watching with interest.

Kai went to kick the back of my legs. I jumped, hoping I'd miss but his foot connected with my legs and I crashed to my back with an oomph.

I was pinned down with one arm across my chest while his other hand was continuously connecting my face.

I did what any other woman could do in this situation: I brought my knee to his prized possession.

A great way to take a man's pride away.

He groaned, lying on the floor in pain. I felt bad because I wasn't feeling bad for him.

Confusing actually.

"Finish it off." Eric says. I look at him and he give me the go on and do it look. It was that or the don't test me look.

They both look the same to me: it's like Eric doesn't have any more emotions than two. What a sad, sad person.

I bet he doesn't even have sadness as one of his emotions.

He's like a robot.

Looking back at Kai, I punched him in the face which managed to knock him out without major injuries.