Chapter Thirty Four.

Chapter Thirty Four.

"I take it you woke up last night?"

I glanced up at Eric, who had stood at the end of his bed, watching me as I slipped on my shoes.

I shrugged, trying not to think about Four sneaking out to meet Nita. "Yeah, what made you ask?"

When I looked up at him, he had a smirk slapped on his face.

"You ate the sandwich." He glanced at the spot where the tray had once been. "Good nights sleep?"

No. Not really.

Once I fled from that awkward situation, I went straight to bed. And it took Four another hour to come back. A whole hour.

What happened in that time?

Not only that, I have been sick in the sweet early hours this morning. What a wonderful time.

"It could have been better." I said truthfully. Jumping to my feet, I followed Eric down to the canteen; we sat in the furthest corner.

I picked at the breakfast, not even that hungry after my midnight snack.

Four came up to us minutes later, but honestly I wish he didn't. It was just nice with Eric and I.

"I need to talk to you." Four said to Eric. Eric looked back at me, as if he was asking for permission.

Since when does Eric need to ask for permission?

I nodded, and Eric left with Four as Tris slipped into Eric's evacuated seat with some sandwiches.

"Is that the photo of your mum?" I asked when I spotted a folded sheet besides Tris. Tris nodded. "Can I see?"

Tris handed it over, and I gingerly unfolded it, fearful that I might just rip it. I've done it before, just because I hated the person in the photo.

It was set out like a class photo.

I smiled, studying all of the faces that I could make out. Some were chubby, and some were stick thin. Others were tall whereas others were small.

I instantly spot Natalie.

"Natalie is pretty, but I thought Abnegation don't like photographs?" I recall, thinking back to the once upon a time where I was stood in Tris's house. I didn't spot one photograph of the family. Of anyone.

"They don't." Tris sighed, running a hand through her short hair, then began picking at her sandwiches. "But apparently, she was sent to... Sent to work. She was an Outsider. Like you."

My eyebrows jumped up to the tip of my forehead. "Seriously?" I looked at the child-like Natalie. "And no one noticed?"

I could have lived there. Survived there.

But then the whole war happened so that's a big no no!

"No. Just the people who worked here... It's like I didn't even know her anymore." Tris looked down. "I'm reading her diary, she said something about how the world outside is dangerous. Is it?"

I pursed my lips. "It... Depends on your definition of 'dangerous.'"

Tris didn't reply but I carried on. "In some cases, yeah, it's dangerous. You can get in trouble with a bad group of people who will hunt you down, you can get killed which happens much less than you think, and where ever you go, danger follows. But we have rules that are made by the Government, break them and you face the consequences."