Chapter Twenty Seven.

She was lucky I was strapped down.

I threw my body in her direction, only growling when the pain in my chest grew, along with the pain in my wrists.

I should have seen it coming: I knew deep down she was going to ask that question. She has been wanting to know since the moment she found out.

Stupid serum. Stupid truth serum.

"No. Not saying." I hissed, slamming back down in frustration. "I'm not answering that question."

Jeanine watched, amused as I was wriggling in anger, frustration and pain all in one.

"I'll ask again, who is the father of the baby?" She snapped those words, completely opposite from her mood a few seconds ago.

I hit my head gently repeatedly on the table. Staring at the ceiling. Focusing on the ceiling. Then Eric moved, my eyes dart to him. He squirmed at the situation.

He thinks I'm going to tell her. He think he's going to get busted.

"I made a promise." I said breathless. "I'm keeping it." At these words, the pain eased a lot. I relaxed.

Jeanine thinned and pursed her lips. "Who's the father?"

The pain increased as I kept my mouth shut. Don't say it. Don't say it...

"E..." I began. Eric froze, as I was beginning to say his name. Then I remembered our promise. I won't breathe a word unless you do. "E... Edmund!" I bellowed out.

Jeanine flinched at my action. "Edmund? Edmund who?"

Okay, that was the only name I could think of beginning with E.

You could say I watched Narnia way too many times.

"Young." I thought of my best friend's last name. I didn't know Eric's, I knew Tris's and Four's: but if I said them, Jeanine would drag Tris and demand who Edmund was.

And Four? If I said Eaton, they were going to hunt him down. Killing anybody that got in their way. Like the Amity girl.

And the Divergent that Eric killed.

Jeanine leaned back, writing down my answer. "Alright, Eric. Take her back to her cell. We'll transfer her tomorrow. I want to see Beatrice Prior."

Jeanine stood up abruptedly, and left the room.

Eric snapped the restraints off, and pulled me up gently. "Alright?"

"Fine." The pain had disappeared. The serum has worn off.

Eric quickly took me to my cell, but on the way we saw Tris. With Peter.

"Cassie? Oh God!" Tris exclaimed. She threw herself towards me, but was pulled back by Peter. He had a gun pointed at her back.

"Tris, if she uses the serum on you, fight it!" I threw myself towards her, I really wanted to touch her to see if she's real.

I was yanked back by Eric.

He tugged me in the cell, and shut the door behind him. He didn't say anything; I didn't say anything. I only rubbed my wrists.

Sitting on the pillow, I wrapped the blanket around me. "You thought I was going to say your name." It wasn't a question. A statement. I knew that he thought I was going to break the promise.

"Honestly, yes. Yes I did." Eric replied, crossing his arms over his chest. Then he asked: "Edmund? Who's Edmund Young?"

I shrugged. I bet they don't even have television here. "It's just a name I thought on the spot. Don't panic."

Eric nodded, and decided to leave the room.

I knew I could fight the serum. That makes me strong, doesn't it?

I grinned like the Cheshire Cat. I kept my promise.

Maybe it won't be hard after all.

***

I wasn't sure how long is was, but Peter came to my cell. He brought me a meal with a drink.

It tasted like hospital food. In other words: shit.

He returned not too long after. With Tris.

She ran to me and threw her arms around me. "Cassie!" She gasped. "Are you okay?" She leaned back at arms length.

"I'm good." I replied. "You? What did Jeanine do to you?"

Tris frowned deeply. "She wanted me to open... A box."

This time it was my turn to frown. "A box? Why doesn't she get the key and unlock it herself, lazy tart." I snort. "I'm sure she can do it with the technology she has."

Tris shook her head, scanning the room in case Peter was there. He wasn't. "No no! It wasn't that type of box with a simple lock and a simple key. A Divergent is the key."

Oh, that's what she means that my examination was last minute...

"What's inside the box?" I question slowly. Getting my head wrapped around it.

Tris shrugged. "I don't know, but they found it at my house in Abnegation."

"You mean, your parents had hidden it?"

"Apparently so."

A knock on the door made me jump. "Two minutes!" The guard called.

I shook my head slightly. "Four, is he alright?"

Tris shrugged again. "Well, he met his Mum, apparently leader of the Factionless. She was supposed to be dead years ago."

My eyes widened. "Must be a shock. Anyway, we need a plan to get out of here."

Tris looked at me in the eye. "Jeanine won't let me out until I open that box. Four's mother was planning on attacking Erudite and destroy their power and knowledge. Knowing Four, he'll come for us." She placed a hand on my arm. "He will."

I smiled weakly. Then the door swung open and Peter stormed in. He snatched Tris and threw her in the cell opposite.

My cell door slammed in my face. And a click of a lock.

Four and the Factionless better hurry. Being stuck in one room will drive me crazy.

Eventually.

Okay, your comments did make me giggle. A lot. ;)

Did you think that Cassie was about to spill the beans?

As normal, vote, fan and comment!

Love

C.I.