Chapter Thirty Five.

Chapter Thirty Five.

My fingers fumbled to the off button. I don't think I could read another one of Natalie's entries.

Was Natalie even her real name?

I might know them. Natalie's words filter through my mind when I was hesitant in telling her and Tris my secret.

She came from the outside. But I thought she generally meant from inside the city. Not beyond it.

I bit my lip, looking up and around the room. Tris had laid in her bed, staring at the ceiling, deep within thought.

"Tris?" I called, stunned that my mum, the part I never knew about, knew Tris's mum. And yet we never knew of each other's existence.

What a complicated world this is.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think my mum's journal is still at the boat?" I asked, standing up and placing the glass onto Tris's bed. Her bed and Four's were pressed together to make a double bed.

"I have no idea. Maybe David or Matthew picked it up?" She suddenly jumped to her feet and stalked towards the door.

When she saw me not coming, she gave me a look that made me scurry after her.

***

I followed Tris down many corridors. Passing many doors and many people. The Alliance.

She turned down a long corridor, the glass securely in her hold and stopped at a door. She pushed it open.

A man sat behind the desk. His name was Matthew.

"Tris!" Matthew exclaimed, typing viciously for a couple seconds before saving what he had written. When he realised she wasn't alone, his eyes practically bulged out of his head.

"Whoa..." He said breathlessly. "You look exactly like Elizabeth." I bit my lip in discomfort. "I'm taking it you want to know about your mother, uh..."

"Cassie." I filled in. "Yeah I am, actually. Do you have any of my mum's entries? A journal, perhaps?"

Matthew looked over at Tris, who decided to start reading another one of her own mother's entries. He looked back at me and nodded slowly.

"I'm not sure if its still in here, or if David has it. He usually takes your mother's journal to read." Matthew jumped up and opened another door. He stepped inside, then I heard metal banging on metal before he stepped out again: a glass piece in his hand.

He outstretched it towards me.

I thanked him, taking the glass in my hand and Tris lead us back to our dorm suite.

Back on my bed, cross legged, I switched on the glass where my fingers became to shake and my hands began to clam up.

Butterflies fluttered in my stomach- excuse me, bats swarmed in my stomach. Do I dare read what my mother's childhood was like?

I read the first entry, which didn't have much. Just how she ran into the Alliance, and she met Natalie.

Entry 2, Day 60.

It's getting hard to sneak out to the boat. Dauntless are seriously getting tougher on their warriors.