Chapter Fifteen.

Chapter Fifteen.

"What?" Eric said, waiting for my confession. Though they never came.

They couldn't. I couldn't say the two words that will change everything.

I'm pregnant.

"I..." There. That's one. Or half of one. But I couldn't bring myself to say the p word.

Pregnant.

Before I could say it, a knock at the door echoed the apartment.

Eric grumbled under his breath and went to answer the door. I curled my hands around the mug.

"Yeah?" Eric snapped, swinging the door open.

"One of the initiates are causing trouble." The sound of Four's voice sent chills down my spine. "And Max said to send you to deal the problem."

"Who and what's the trouble?" Eric responded.

"Can I come in? It isn't supposed to be heard of." Four shoved Eric out the way and when he spotted me, he was surprised at my presence.

"Hello." I say, finishing the last of my drink. "It's alright, I'm just leaving."

Eric narrowed his eyes at me, and I gave him a look not to bother. Four said his bye, Eric didn't. He was confused.

"Catch you later." I bid my goodbye, before shutting the door behind me. I rested a hand on my stomach.

It's okay, I still have some time to prepare myself.

Stepping in the Pit, I headed over to the bar. I spot one of those small snacks and asked for five of them.

Taking all five packets, I open one and go to the Chasm to sit at the edge. I sat in peace. That is, not for long.

***

"You seem awfully quiet." Christina says as I fiddle with my fingers. It was dinner and we were waiting for Tris. Bowls of meat were in front of me and the only thing appetizing was the cream doughnuts near the Dauntless Leaders.

I am so craving one.

"I'm just a little tired. Tiring day." I reply, and to make it seem real, I yawned. It started fake but turned real half way through.

After a few minutes silence, Christina asks: "What were your fears?"

"Burned alive," I glowered at the table. "Commitment, a family. Being left alone." I snapped by eyes up back to Christina's. "It wasn't the best. What about you?"

"Yikes. Burned alive?" Christina bit her lip in thought. "I'd hate to go through that. And mine? Anything and everything. I'm a scaredy cat."

I snorted and when Tris sat down, I plucked one of the cream doughnuts off the plate.

"That went well." Tris winked, sitting down and instantly dove in for the steak. "This is delicious!"

"Mmm." I replied with my mouth full of cream.

Licking the cream off my fingers, everyone started cheering and stomping. I joined in.

"Dauntless! Dauntless! Dauntless!" I chanted along with the others.

Max stood up along with the other leaders, on the balcony. He held up his hand and the silence was deafening.

"Dauntless members. Initiates." Max said cooly. "We like to welcome you our new members of Dauntless!"

The screen flickered on, and I instantly spot my name in second. I squealed and my eyes flicker up to the leaders with a big smile on my face.

My eyes shot to Eric, and he was already looking at me. My smile falters sightly and I look back at the screen.

Tris was first, Christina was fifth.

"Anyone below the line is cut!" Max yells and backs off. I heard slight cries, but I couldn't hear them over my happiness.

My smile widened when I saw my friends faces.

"We're in!" Screams Christina, and she pulled me into a hug from across the table and Tris sideways. "We are officially Dauntless members!"

"Congratulations, Candor. Stiff." A voice says behind me and I spot Peter. "Congratulations indeed." Peter eyed me wondering how on Earth I got out of the ropes.

"You too, Peter Pan." I replied. A ghostly smile on my face seemed to annoy Peter. He shot daggers at me.

He narrowed his eyes before disappearing.

"Well, a life stuck with him. Wonderful." Tris rose her eyebrows as she sipped her drink.

Christina looked around before saying: "I'm going to see a friend. Catch you tonight."

As she sat down, Four ran over to us. "I need to show something to you." He met my eyes. "Both of you."

***

Four led the way until we were on top of a high building outside Dauntless compound.

"It's Erudite. They have been loading in computers, and these." Four held out a little pelit. It had apple-juice-like liquid and deep down, I knew that it wasn't apple juice.

"What is it?" I asked, before looking over the building and see many men in blue loading in crates.

"I think its a controlling device." Tris said, looking back at me. "We should tell him."

Knowing what she was talking about, I nodded. If Tris trusts him, I can can't I?

"What?" Four said confused.

"I'm from outside the fence, so I knew nothing when I first came here. " I answered plainly.

"No wonder. Your results came up blank when Eric searched for your aptitude test result."

"What?"

"He wondered what your test result was. And we couldn't find your file." Four answered. "Max knows and the Erudite Leader, Jeanine knows about it. They are watching your every move in this place."

"I think you should leave this place, Cassie." Tris murmured, looking down. "You'll get killed."

"So will you if they find out. Why won't you come with me?" I watch both Four's and Tris's reaction. Nothing. Nothing at all.

"We better head back." Four cut in. Back in the Pit, everyone was in long lines.

What was going on?

"We are giving you an injection. Don't ask questions its a safety precaution." Eric says and instantly, we were given injections.

Tris was in front of me, when Eric stopped us both.

He was talking to Tris; completely blanking me out. Then I felt a pinch of pain in my neck.

"Ow!" I yelled, slapping my hand to my neck. I span to find the culprit when no one was there.

"See? It didn't hurt." Eric said hardly, before looking at me for a split second, and walked off.

"Dick." I spat. How can I be carrying that man's kid?

Like, seriously.