Chapter Twenty Nine.

Chapter Twenty Nine.

The woman who claimed she was Amanda Ritter, spoke in a voice that sounded plain. Automatic.

Images flashed across the screen, too quick for me to catch. Then stopped on one image: a man pointing a gun to his head. Another holding a knife at a lady, who had clutched her bag, and a person near a telephone booth.

Above them, I notice some windows. The curtains were drawn, but the shadow that casted on them, I knew that a robbery was going off.

Bodies were everywhere. It was a disaster zone.

I crunch my eyes shut. I feel vomit bubbling inside me, I swallowed it back down.

Tris looked like she was going to scream into oblivion, but Amanda Ritter appeared on the screen, distracting everyone in eyesight.

"You do not remember all that," Amanda sighed. Though she snapped back into reality as if she forgot she was recording herself. "You are partially correct if you are thinking that this is a terrorist group or gang. Half of these pictures who are committing terrible acts were your neighbours, family and friends, your colleagues. This battle that has been happening continuously have been against human nature. Or at least what it has become."

My thoughts flashed to when Jeanine had Tris, Four and I in Abnegation. She blamed human nature. Human nature destroyed the peace.

However, even though I never seen Amanda Ritter in my life, I believed her a hell of a lot more than Jeanne.

I looked around me, noticing faces from Dauntless, their blue bands on their arms. Then others from Erudite. Then others I have never seen before.

"That is why you are all important, our struggle against violence and cruelty is only treating the symptoms of disease, not curing it. You are the cure."

I leaned against Tris, as she held onto Four's hand. We were tired. And I was surprised I was still standing. I could fall asleep through an earthquake right about now.

"In order for you to be safe, we divised a way for you to be seperate from us. From our water supply, from our technology. From our societal structure. We have created your society in such a way that we hope that you will rediscover the moral sense most of us have lost. Over time, we hope you will begin to change as most of us cannot.

"The reason I am leaving this footage is so that you can help us."

Help? How? When she's dead from decades ago?

Amanda sucked in a breath, before continuing on her long speech. "You will know when it's time because the footage would have been unlocked by one of the flexible minds of you. The name you give them is Divergent."

I froze as all eyes shot to Tris, Four and I.

"Your leaders should give the command for Amity to unlock the gates, where you can emerge from your isolation." She smiles as she says her next words: "This information is to be restricted to those in the Government only. You are to be a clean slate. But do not forget us."

Believe me, I don't think anybody will anytime soon.

"I am about to join your number, like the rest of you. I will voluntary forget my name, my family and my home. I will take on a new identity, with false memories and false history. But so you know that the information I have provided is accurate, I will tell you the name I am about to take on as my own."