PROLOGUE

My sister and I have a love hate relationship, well I love her but she hates me. Dont ask me why, cause i also don't have the answer. We grew up together in the deepest parts of rural KZN.

Coming from where we came from, it wasnt easy even dreaming beyond the lush green mountains and running rivers that surrounded us. But for me, the books our mother brought with her everytime she came down from her job in Joburg gave me a sense of adventure. I wanted to see all the places described in those books, and I knew the only way I could get out of there was through school.

I gave my all to my studies, I was pushed to the next class twice, which led to me finishing school at sixteen, my sister on the other hand was content with where she was. I passed matric with five distinctions and got a scholarship to study at Wits. The whole village celebrated when I left to start my first year.

Twenty years later I wish I hadn't left my safe village. I wish I had been like every other girl in my village who didn't care much about the outside world, I wish I had been content with the obvious outcome for most girls in this village, marry a local man who'll leave you to take care of the home while he went to Joburg to get a job, come back home once or twice a year, get you pregnant and live you to raise the children alone. Why couldn't I be content with that?

My name is Nomonde Mashile, a BCom graduate and a convicted felon. This is my story.