72

SEVENTY TWO

AMANDA

To think I spent a better part of my life avoiding quiet spaces and now I'm forced to deal with the demons in my head by fire by force.

I hate it when the voices in my head are loud. And that's why I prefer clubbing and partying. It just makes things easier. And if I'm not partying or clubbing my wine keeps me company. But now all that is gone. Now if I'm not in the yard soaking in the sun I am in my cell looking at the ceiling. I  hate it here. But I'm paying for my sins so I have no choice but to suck it up.

I decided to leave the others outside and go to my cell and take a nap. Not that I need it. I met one of the officers on my way in.
"Amanda, glad I found you. You have a visitor."
"Its not visiting hours yet."
"Try telling that to your guest." She said and turned around. I followed her to the visitors area. And sure enough there was just one person there. My heart started racing. I never thought I'd see the day he ever comes here. The last time I saw him I was in a holding cell. I took a few deep breaths to calm me down and walked over to him.

"Paul." He looked up and his eyes went all over my body, almost like he was surveying me.
"You've lost weight." Right. I sat down and looked at him.
"Well it means my diet is going well." He frowned and cleared his throat.
"Right. That's not why I'm here."
"How are you? I heard about your mum and brother. I'm sorry."
"Thanks. How are they treating you in here?" I chuckled.
"Well it's not five star service but it will do."
"Atleast you dont have to endure it for long."
"And how do you figure that?" He looks around to make sure the guards arent close enough to hear us. He puts his arms on the table and leans closer to me.
"On the day of your appearance in court the prosecution will not have any evidence to present so you will walk free."
"What's that supposed to mean? In case you didnt know, I confessed."
"I know. And that will be taken care off." I wasnt sure if I was hearing right. He cant possibly be thinking of stealing evidence. He cant be.
"Why? Why would you want to do that? I'm paying for my crimes and I'm okay with that." I whispered to him.
"That's good and merry but your kids need you. I cant raise them all ny myself."
"I'm sure Nomonde wont mind helping. I did sign my parental rights over to her."
"That's nice and all but the kids need their mother. Of course if I do this there will be conditions that you'll have to adhere to."
"I'm not sure Paul, I dont want this coming back to bite me in the butt."
"It wont. I'll let you know when everything has been sorted." He got up, took his car keys and walked out like he hasn't just said he'll commit a crime to get me out of prison.

As much as I want to think this is a great thing I cant help feeling like whatever conditions he has for me to follow will be worse than prison itself. On the upside though, I will get a chance to redeem myself in my children's lives. So maybe it will be easier to serve my punishment under whatever conditions Paul has than to be stuck in here without even seeing my kids.

●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

NOMONDE

The downside of being cooped up in a little haven like this is that it never lasts. One way or another you have to give it up and return to your daily life. I must admit though, this place has been a tranquil piece of haven. I've been able to relax and just enjoy myself.

Today is the day I let go and go home. I'm happy to but I know I'll miss this place. Lungelo went out for a jog by the ocean. Not my cup of tea, I applaud people who jog to stay healthy but for me I dont see a reason to just start running if theres nothing chasing me.

I finish packing and get into the tub for one last bubble bath. I sit and relax for almost an hour, I can feel myself dozing off when Lungelo comes back. He makes his way to the bathroom and gets in. I turn my groggy head to his direction and he looks appetizing with sweat dripping all over his face and his vest soaked in sweat. It's such a pity I've been banned from sex.