52

MY SISTERS KEEPER

FIFTY TWO

Road trips with the love of your life slap. Hard. I dont care what anyone says but the open road, soft music playing and the man you love next to you will always be top tier in my opinion.

I told Lungelo about Amanda's message so he decided to drive me to Joburg so I can hear her out. Of course it took some convincing from him cause I honestly dont know what Amanda could possibly want to say to me. But we are headed there now.

We left Durban last night and since I asked for a couple of days of work I wont have to stress much about being late to work or being fired for my absence. And I can still do some work even in Joburg. We got to Joburg and Lungelo drove to Lonehill. We entered what looked like an apartment building. We got in and he led me up to one of the flats. He opened the door and it was empty.

"Whose place is this?" I asked as I looked around. The place was huge and open. The balcony looked out to a little pond on the other side and a kids playground. It looked peaceful and serene. I could actually live here.
"Mine." He said as he joined me in the balcony. I turned to look at him.
"Since when do you have a place in Joburg?"
"The sale closed about two weeks ago."
"Why though? Are you planning on moving here?"
"Not really but it will be a great place for us to stay when we come this side. It will save us money, and Bontle can stay here if she decides to come to school this side." Why do I suspect that the last statement was the main reason for this purchase?
"Okay but what if Bontle want's to stay at res?"
"That's fine but if she needs some air or time away from the stress of school she can come here and rest."
"Why do I get the feeling that is the main reason you bought this place." He smiles and looks put at the view.
"Shoot me for wanting our daughter to be safe." Ever seen a snowflake melt in the sun? That's what I felt like right now. I'm pretty sure my cheeks are red from all the blushing. "Let's go see the rest of it."

He held my hand and gave me a tour of the place. You would think an apartment wouldn't be too big but this one was huge. It has three bedrooms each with it's own bathroom and huge closets. One bedroom had a bed, a duvet cover and two pillows and some sheets.

"Moving in already?"
"Yes. We are spending the night here. We need to christine every room here and give it our blessings." I laughed and jumped on the bed.
"Let's get started." I say and he laughs.
"As much as I would love to, we have to go to the prison, visiting hours are starting soon." Nice way to bring me back to reality.

We left and headed to the prison where Amanda was kept. We got there and Lungelo decided to stay in the car and wait for me. I went in and checked in. I went to sit down and wait for her to be brought out. I waited for a while before I saw her being led out. If prison taught me anything it's that you will come in as one thing and leave as something else. My sister didnt look like herself. She was a shadow of her former self. I'm pretty sure she never thought she'd ever be in this situation.

She sat down and I got to take a closer look at her. I'm pretty sure if I met her outside of prison looking like this I would not recognize her, heck I might just walk past her in the street. She had dark under eyes, a bruised lip, a cut on the side of her lip and a broken arm judging by the sling on it.

"You look........"
"Worse for wear? I know." She says cutting me off. She smiles but the smile doesnt reflect in her eyes.
"How are you?"
"Taking it day by day."
"Are they treating you okay?" Who am I kidding. This is not a hotel.
"Like royalty." She says trying to be sarcastic. "On a more serious not though, I need your help." I never thought I'd see the day.
"With what?" She pulls out an envelope from under the table and pushes it towards me. "What's this?"
"I have signed over my parental rights to you."
"You can't be serious."
"I know I should have spoken to you first but I didnt want you to say no. Nomonde I know I've never been the best sister to you. And I know I dont deserve any kind of kindness from you but all I'm asking for is for you to keep an eye on my kids."
"They have a family Amanda, one with enough reach and money to buy the world. I'm sure they will be fine."
"Not if Philani Biyela has anything to say on that."
"What?"
"Its complicated okay. But Lebo, Lesego's wife is in here too, about a week ago she was sentenced to twenty years for drug possession, Malcolm is dead, Lesego is in a wheelchair, Lesedi is apparently making plans to leave the country with her kids and husband, Bonolo, well she's Bonolo and Paul is in a hospital bed fighting for his life. I dont want my kids to end up alone."
"Amanda...."
"I know it's a bit much. I'll probably never win the mother of the year contest but this is the least I can do for my kids. I know you have a good heart and inspite of all I did to you I know you won't take it out on them. I'm begging you Nomonde, do this one thing for me and I'll never ask you for anything again. I promise." She shoved the envelope to me and quickly left me there with my mouth wide open.

My Sisters KeeperOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara