6

Being home still feels like a dream honestly. I can actually wake up at whatever time I feel like, well it's more like I get out of bed at whatever time I feel like because my body is used to waking up at six am, so even when I try not to soon as the clock hits six my eyes are wide open.

I've been home for almost a month now and I can fully say I'm gaining weight. My mother has been feeding me at every chance she gets. I swear by the time she is done with me I wont be able to get up from this couch.

I stay home alone when Bontle goes to school and mum goes to sell her wares at school. I dont think I'm ready to face the world and have to explain to people, especially my former teachers why I never became all that I had wanted to become. A lot of them had a hand in me even being able to go further my studies. And now having to face them with nothing to show for all their hardwork and help is just too much for me.

I wake up every morning and help mum make her famous vetkoeks and pies and help her get everything ready. Soon as she leaves with Bontle I get down to cleaning the house, doing laundry and cleaning the yard. Luckily for me a water tap was installed in the yard so I dont have to go down to the river.

As much as it's nice to be home and just relax I think its time I started my life over again. And the first thing I need to do is get a job. I dont know who is going to hire someone with a criminal record but I wont know unless I try right. I've sent out some CV's to accounting firms but I know there is a lot that I need to do before I can fully even be able to where I need to be. I also saw some ads in the newspaper for waiters and waitresses but with those i need to be in Durban to even have a chance at getting one. Everytime I call the restaurants I get told to show up the next morning which is impossible cause I am more than two hours away from them.

I turned on the TV cause I had nothing better to do since the house is clean, clothes washed and food is ready. I'm not even sure how I can still cook after so many years without cooking, or maybe it's my tastebuds that are fucked up from eating all that tasteless prison food. I decided to make myself a glass of juice and sat down on the couch.

I flipped through the two channels that were somewhat clear cause watching the others would require me to squint my eyes. I've been here for almost a month and I've already figured out what I need to do around here, and that includes getting a DSTV decoder. I flip to SABC 1 and find a repeat of real goboza. Mhmm, I guess I'll be catching up on celebrity gossip. I mindlessly watch story after story with zero interest until I hear the presenter mention an Amanda Mashile.

"Real life socialite and rich housewife of, well basically South Africa Amanda Mashile had set tongues wagging after she was gifted the latest Mercedes G63 Brabus by her husband, businessman Paul Mashile."

The story itself wasnt that interesting until they mentioned Paul, as if that wasn't surprising enough they showed the picture of his wife, no matter how unclear the signal might be but that picture was clear as daylight. Paul's wife is my sister.

I sat up on the couch and stared at the TV long after the show had ended. Shocked wouldn't even be enough to describe what I was feeling at this very moment. Nothing is making sense to me right now. How did my sister end up with my husband, well ex husband but still, how did she end up marrying him?

I dont know how long I sat there with my mind going haywire trying to figure out all this. I didnt even hear my mum walk in and sit down.

"Yho hhay I'm getting old, good thing today is Friday, tomorrow I can rest." She said putting her feet up on the coffee table. "Hawu Nomonde, what's wrong mntanami?"
"Mama, where is Amanda?"
"Argh that one, you never know with her. She shows up when she wants and disappears the same way. I've already told you this, why are you asking?"
"I know you told me. But you also forgot to mention that she is married to my ex husband." I saw her close her eyes and take a deep breath. "Mama why didnt you tell me?"
"I'm sorry mntanami, you were already in jail when it happened and trying to appeal your case I didnt want you worrying about anything."
"Why would she do that? After everything that that family put me through, why would my own sister turn around and play happy families with them?"
"I wish I knew Monde. I begged her not to do it, but you know your sister is as stubborn as they come. She even came here cause they wanted to pay lobola but I refused so she went to your uncle. You know I'd never allow anything to come between the two of you, despite the fact that you two were never that close to begin with. I still should have told you though, I'm sorry baby."

I didnt think after all that I've been through my own sister would do that to me. But I guess this explains why she never came to see me, she wasnt even there to support me during my case. I thought she was just being her usual distant self but now I know it was more than that. While I was fighting for my life she was taking over my life, living my life.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

NARRATED

At the Mashile mansio in Houghton, the family has gathered for dinner. Lesego, Paul, his wife Amanda and the Matriarch of the family, Mrs Portia Mashile are gathered around the dining table eating in silence. As soon as they are done and the maids take away the plates Mrs Mashile gets up and heads to the lounge.

"I think I'll head to bed. I'm tired."Amanda says. She leaves the brothers there and heads up to her room.
"What's wrong with your mother?" Paul asks his brother.
"I dont know, probably has something to do with your golddigging ex."
"Please don't start."
"Why? You are the one who brought that girl into our lives and then you almost died." Paul clicks his tongue and gets up. He leaves his brother there and goes upstairs to his bedroom.

Lesego decides to join his mother in the lounge. He pours himself a glass of scotch and refills his mother's almost empty glass of wine.

"What's wrong mama. You dont look like yourself."
"Its nothing son, I'll be fine."
"I know you'll be fine, but I still need to know what's happening with you."
"Have you heard anything about Nomonde?"
"According to my guy she is still cooped up at her mother's house, doesnt even go out."
"Mhmm."
"Mama what's going on?"
"Do you think theres more to this attempted murder of Paul than meets the eye?"
"Where is this coming from? It's been fifteen years, the person responsible did their time, so why the sudden doubt."
"When I went to see Nomonde she asked me when last did I see Bontle, and then she said one day the truth will come out."
"The truth did come out mama, and we all know it."
"I know but what if...... what if we sent the wrong person to jail? What if she is innocent?"
"Mama, three DNA tests were done, all of them came back negative, two people who had never met witnessed the shooting, and to top it all of the gun used was found in her possession. How much more proof do you need?" She took a sip of her wine and looked at her son.
"Maybe you are right, maybe I'm just overreacting."
"You are. Stop overthinking this whole thing."
"You are right. What's done is done. Nomonde is out of our lives and that's all that matters."
"Exactly." He says giving his mum a hug, oblivious to the lurking figure hiding behind the wall.

Upstairs, Amanda just finished taking a shower when her phone beeps. She checks the message and calls the person back.

"Mandy."
"Sihle, what's with the please call me this late. Don't you have airtime?"
"I do but I needed you to call me. Anyways I have news."
"What?"
"Your sister is out of jail. In actual fact she has been out for almost a month now." Amanda sits down on the edge of the bathtub.
"That's impossible. Lesego would never allow her to just walk out just like that."
"That's the thing babe, she did. And what's even worse, your mother in law got her out."
"This isnt good."
"Tell me about it. What if she comes back and wants her life back?" Sihle asks her friend.
"That's not going to happen. Plus if she had those plans she would ha e atleast showed up here by now."
"Maybe. Anyways I have to go,keep your eyes open babe, you never know what could happen."
"Nothing is going to happen. If she knows what's good for her she will stay as far away from us as possible. I wont let her take Paul away from me, No! I will fight tooth and nail to keep what's mine."
"Good. Cause you said it yourself, Paul still holds a burning candle for her, and only God knows what would happen if he saw her."
"There is absolutely no need for you to remind me damn. I've been living under her shadow ever since she went to jail. Inspite of all the evidence against her Paul still wants to believe she might be innocent."
"Well theres nothing she can do now."
"Yes, I won, fair and square. Plus it's not like I took Paul from her. They were already divorced when we hooked up."
"Right." She said before hanging up the phone.

He phone beeped again and a message popped up.

'Hey sis, congratulations, mum tells me you are married and happy. I cant wait to meet my nieces and nephew. I hope they are good.'

It's a message from her sister Nomonde. She's not sure if she should ignore the message or reply to it. She decides against it and puts the phone away trying to calm her nerves.