46

"What's going on?" I asked confusion written all over my face.
"Nothings going on Lungelo, I just wanted you guys to come greet MY guests." My mum said with a smug look on her face. "Anyways for those of you that dont know, these are my guests. Bonsile and Nomonde are my future daughters in law, that's MaGumede, Nomonde's mother and this next to me is BontlebaModimo, my grandbaby."

Khanya and my sisters were having a field day with this. And just then my uncles and some of our extended family members we weren't expecting showed up. You would think they had just got off a train the way they just barged in here. There was noise and chaos while I was busy trying to figure out what's going on.

"What is your mother up to?" Muzi asked as he came and stood next to me.
"Beats me. You know she's unpredictable."
"Tell me about it."

My mum was busy introducing Nomonde and Bonsile to everyone. As weird as this may be it was quite nice seeing how welcoming my family was, and I have my mother to thank for that. I know if she didnt like either of them the rest of the family would follow suit. But right now, as devious as her plan was or is, I'm happy that Nomonde and Bonsile dont have to feel some type of way about being here.

With all the chaos and noise that was happening I was able to pull Nomonde aside. I held her by the hand and led her to my house.
"Why didnt you tell me you were coming?" She laughed and threw herself on the couch.
"I didnt know either. I got home and mum and Bontle told me to pack cause we are leaving. And they took my phone too so I couldnt tell you." I joined her on the couch and turned on the TV.
"I'm glad you came though."
"Me too. I like your family."
"They like you too. Makes my life easier."
"Right. So how are you feeling?"
"I'm okay. It's weird seeing his coffin in the house. To think this is his first time being here and he has to be here in a coffin. I'll never forgive Nqobile for this."
"Its going to be Okay. Atleast now he will rest in peace with his real family."
"Yeah." I brought her in for a hug. "I can't believe you are here. KoRadebe. My ancestors must be dancing." She laughed.
"How? They dont even know me. I'm sure they are wondering who that woman is?"
"Well they wont wonder anymore. Soon as I make you my wife they will know you."

The door burst open and Bongiwe and Thandeka walked in giggling and laughing.
"Manje, akusa knockwa laykhaya (you dont knock anymore?)"
"Hhay yima kancane Bhuti (hold up). MaMtolo wants uMakoti wakhe. We are here for her not you." Bongiwe said.
"Ah ah. We are still busy."
"Yeah I'm not telling MaMtolo that. Wona Makoti." Thandeka held out her hand to Nomonde. Nomonde looked at me and took Thandeka's hand and got up from the couch.
"Kanjalo vele, uyangshiya? (Just like that, you're leaving me.)" She smiled and gave me a kiss on the cheek.
"I will see you later."

They walked out giggling. My mother seems to forget that Nomonde is mine not ours. I need to remind her. I got up and followed them to the house. I got there and everyone was gathered in the lounge while the others were in the kitchen cooking. I decided to go to my mums room where CJ was. Good thing we will be changing his name tomorrow.

His casket stood there like it was a prop, but it was real. It actually reminded me of when we buried my dad. I got closer and touched the coffin before sitting down on the bed looking at it.
"I'm sorry son. I wish I had known you before this moment. I dont know what kind of father I would have been to you but I know I would have tried my best. I would have tried to give you a good life and I know you would have been loved dearly by everyone. Your aunts and uncles would have loved you to bits. I'm sorry you never got to experience that. Ngyacolisa Bhungane, Mthimkhulu, Makhulukhulu, Zikode, Mashwabada inkomo nempondo zayo, Izinzipho zimnyama ngokuqhwayana, Mangelengele, Mahlub' amhlophe. Sale uphumula Bhungane (rest now). Uyathandwa Zikode (I love you.)"

I wiped the line tear that had made it's way down my face. I looked at the candle that was lit and the flame seemed to burn brighter. I smiled at myself and walked out. I closed the door behind me and looked up to find Nqobile standing there.
"What are you doing here?"
"I wanted to spend some time with him. You would have made a great father to him."
"Right. And that only dawned on you when he was laying in a casket? Give me a break." I left her there and headed to the lounge ge where everyone was.