32

I couldn't sleep last night. Although Paul and his godforsaken family seem to be so determined to get Bontle back, I'm glad she has made her own decision to say she doesn't want them in her life. As much as she knows the truth of what happened with them, I dont want to be labeled as the bitter baby mama trying to keep a child from her father.

Bontle might be almost seventeen, technically speaking still a child, but she has a good head on her shoulders and I know eventually she will make the right decision for herself. And if she decides she wants her family then I will support her, I wont like it but I'll support her.

I decided to wake up early and make her breakfast in bed just to cheer her up. I put on my gown and went out to the kitchen. Since its Sunday I know my mum will be up soon so it will be fun to beat her to the punch. But it seems I got beaten to the punch too. When I got to the kitchen I found Bontle laughing and making breakfast. She was on a video call with someone seeing as she had her phone balancing on the milk container. I decided to not disturb her phonecall and just stand by the doorway, out of her sight.

"Where's your mum? Is she still asleep?" The voice on the other side said. It sounded familiar and after a while of trying to place who it belongs to it finally dawned on me. She was speaking to Lungelo.
"She's still asleep. I'm sure she'll be up soon. Hopefully I'll be done with these pancakes by then."
"Good. And dont tell her I gave you the recipe. That's a family recipe." She laughs and for some strange reason that brings tears to my eyes. Just last night she had her world turned upside down by her so called family and today she is as cheerful as she can be.
"Well I guess now I'm family too since I have the recipe."
"Definitely. Call me if you need anything okay."
"Will do. Thank you for talking to me."
"Anytime. I'll see you later when I come to get your mum."
"No problem. I should get ready for church soon."
"Okay. Bye."
"Bye." She cuts the call.

I decide to go check on mum since it's way past her time to wake up. I knock on her bedroom door and open. I find her sitting on the bed, its already made and she has her bible in her hands. I walk over to her and sit down next to her.

"Are you okay."
"I was just praying. I cant believe those monsters thought they would come here and throw money at us like we are desperate for it. We are not poor."
"Well technically speaking we are."
"No we are not. We have a roof over our heads, we've never gone to bed hungry and we have clothes on our backs. We might not have all the luxuries that they have but we are far from being poor." I sighed.
"You're right. Plus it seems the big guy listens to you cause things are looking up now. My innocence has been proven, my daughter is a smart and clever girl thanks to you, and I have a good job. Tell the big guy I say thanks." She laughs.
"You can tell him yourself too you know."
"I know, but it will be more special coming from you. Anyways Bontle is making breakfast. Let's go and eat."

We got up and made our way to the kitchen. Bontle had finished making breakfast so we sat down together and ate. We finished up and got ready for church. Our mood had improved from last nights shenanigans and I was glad.

We went back home and we found Lungelo already parked outside. Mum invited him in and we had Sunday lunch together. When we were done Lungelo and I drove back to Durban. Somewhere along the way I fell asleep. I was woken up by the soft sounds of Jaziel brothers singing ndinike indawo.

"Ndithi ndithi ndithi ndicela ukungena
Ntombi wentombi yabantu
Zininzi izinto ndiyaqonda
Zininzi izinto
Zininzi izinto ndiyavuma
Zininzi izinto

Oh ndinike indawo entlizweni
Ndinike indawo ndoyigcina
Bamoshile abantu ndiyaqonda
Badlalile abantu ndiyaqonda
Ndinike indawo ndoyigcina

Zekuthi xakuthethwa ngabantu
Besithi hayi kunzima
Wena uzuthi hayi ndiyathandwa
Uzuthi ndithandiwe