100 (3)

MY SISTERS KEEPER

ONE HUNDRED (PART THREE)

It’s easy to have people to celebrate with when life is going great, but having people who stick by you when things are bad, now that’s a blessing.

It’s been a hectic night, Lungelo and Philani have been airlifted to hospital, Paul is nowhere to be found. Lindani and his friends turned the house upside down and found nothing. The police also didn’t find anything, except fingerprints all over the place, most of whom belong to the men who were found sprawled out all over the house.

Sbusiso called Nomonde and told her which hospital the guys had been admitted to. The girls drove there, not sure what to expect and anxious about their own safety. They get to the hospital and find Sbu and Razor in the waiting area anxiously pacing around. Even though it’s been just an hour since they got here they are still hoping for some news, good news.

“Sbusiso, where is Lungelo?” Nomonde asks as soon as they get to them.
“The doctors are working on them.” He answers.
“What exactly happened?” Lando asks.
“We are not sure yet. But from the looks of it Lungelo was shot just before we came in.”
“So you shot him by mistake?” Nomonde asks.
“No. It wasn’t us. Probably one of the people who was keeping them in that house.” Razor answers. Nomonde sinks to the chair next to her, fear gripping her entire body.

She wasn’t sure what she feared most, losing Lungelo or finding out who was behind this. Although she had her suspicions she still wasn’t sure about it. She couldn’t understand why Paul would be in Durban and not meet up with Bontle, he’s been insisting on seeing her, even offering to come to the house, and each time she said no he would have a fit. Although the pieces have been there, only now are they starting to come together.

Lindani, Sizwe and Detective Dladla walk in followed by two more officers.
“Ladies.” Dladla says and nods his head. The girls force smiles.
“What’s going on?” Razor asks.
“We are just here for statements my guy.” Dladla answers.
The guys turn to look at Lindani, he nods giving them the go ahead. They turn back to Dladla and his officers.

“Okay then, please tell me what happened? What led to this moment?” Dladla asks. The guys narrate the story from the moment Philani was ‘hijacked’. “Okay, so do you have any idea who might be behind this?” The guys shake their heads. They do have an idea, but they have their own way of dealing with it so they will keep this one to themselves.

Minutes turn to hours and still no news from the doctors. The girls are bundled up on the chairs, one resting on the other. The guys are busy on their phones trying to find the mastermind behind the attack. Nate walks in in scrubs, he looks like he hasn’t slept in days. The guys see him and quickly get up together with the girls.

“What’s going on? Where are they? How are they?” Lando asks.
“They are still in the operating room."
"How is it looking? Any hope?" Nomonde asks. Nate closes his eyes and takes a deep breath before opening them again.
"Honestly, it's not looking good, the bullet missed Philani's heart by an inch, he lost a lot of blood so the doctors had to do a blood transfusion before they could even attempt to take the bullet out." He answers looking at Lando. She takes a deep breath and sits down.

"What about Lungelo?" Razor asks the question Nomonde has been dreading to ask.
"He was short twice on the back, one bullet missed his spine and got lodged in his ribcage, the other bullet went through his back through to the front and  punctured a lung along the way."
"I need to call his family." Nomonde said and walked out.

She got outside the hospital and took in a large dose of air to try and calm herself down. She got her phone out of her pocket and debated with herself on who to call between MaMtolo and Khanya. She started pacing up and down the trying to make a decision. MaMtolo might be easy to talk to but she is still his mother, how will she explain to her what happened. How will she explain this part of his life because she knows nothing about it. She decided to call Khanya instead.