84

MY SISTERS KEEPER

EIGHTY FOUR

Finally I'm home. Back in my bed and back in my space. The great part about my discharge is that Imi also got discharged too so we came home together, her pink haven fits her perfectly. Although I still think Lungelo went a bit overboard but she'll grow into it and we can always change the paint later on.

We came home to find the nursery full of gifts. All types of gifts. I didnt even know I had that many friends to send me baby gifts. I figured theres too many of them, I'll see them tomorrow. I went to our bedroom after putting Imi down and took a shower. I put on pyjamas and went downstairs. My mom and MaMtolo are still here. I find them drinking tea in the kitchen.

"Makoti, shouldn't you be resting?" MaMtolo asks looking concerned.
"I think I've done enough resting to last me a lifetime ma." She chuckles. My mum is looking at me weird. A part of me knows she's going to say something about my decision to save Imi and letting me die if they had to. But I'm tired of hearing that. It's done, it's over. I just wish we could move on from it.

"What's for dinner?" It's not even four o'clock yet. I just need something to break the ice.
"We haven't started  cooking yet. What do you feel like having?" Mamtolo asks.
"Anything is fine. I just miss having a home cooked meal."
"But we always cooked for you. Didn't Lungelo bring you food at the hospital?"
"He did. But then he'd eat most of it and then get me takeaways."
"Lesdididi somfana (this stupid boy.)" She says and gets down from her seat. "Today he will know me. We Lungelo." She shouts as she heads to the study where Lungelo is leaving me with these bulging deadly eyes before me.

"I'm sorry." I take a seat next to her.
"For what?"
"For everything. I didnt mean to be selfish."
"Okay."
"Just like that?" She sighs and puts down the cup of tea.
"For fifteen years I was lucky if I saw you once a year. And in just over a year, I was getting used to being able to see you anytime I wanted. I could talk to you anytime of the day or night, as a mother I know why you made that decision, but as YOUR mother, it hurt."
"I know. And I'm sorry." I can see her eyes getting glossy from the tears filling them up.
"I'm glad God answered my prayers and brought you both out of this alive and well. I dont know how I would have been able to survive without you when I just got you back. But I'm glad I will never know." I give her a hug and feel her tears fall on my shoulder. She pulls away after a while and wipes her tears.

"So what do you want to have for dinner?" She asks, her smile back on her face.
"Oxtail and dumplings with chakalaka and beetroot with mayonnaise." She laughs so loud I'm sure even Imi heard her.
"This is not a restaurant sisi, yoh."
"Your bestie will help you. That's why you're both here mosi." I take an apple from the fridge and head back to the nursery. I'm sure I can open some of these gifts.

I struggle to sit on the fluffy rug because of my stitches. But after a bit of manoeuvring I make it. I take a pink gift bag with a flamingo on it and read the card. It's from my colleague's. I smile like a retard. Most of the people I work with are younger than me, but we've become friends, and I learn a lot from them. Especially when it comes to new things they learned while I was stuck im prison. Speaking of which, I need to register again and finish up my honors. And maybe even get a masters too. I open the gift and it's a baby pink stuffed animal. It has an instructions leaflet. I read through it and it allows me to record my voice so my baby can hear it anytime. I hold it close to me and cuddle it.

The door closes and I look up to find Lungelo looking like he has seen a ghost.
"What's wrong?" I ask him.
"Why would you sell me out to my mother like that? She almost beat me up for starving you." My worry disappears and I laugh. It's quite cute how him and his brothers still somewhat 'fear' their mum. Its adorable.
"Well technically speaking you did starve me. I'll forgive you if you help me open these." I point to the gifts with my hand. He smiles and seats down across from me.