66

MY SISTERS KEEPER

SIXTY SIX

Lungelo and I drove back to his house while the rest of the family drove back to Richard's Bay. I cant believe they drove all the way here just to see the baby.

We get to the house and I look through the fridge and cabinets and theres no food. There's literally a box of stale chicken licken wings in the fridge, a box of cereal in the cupboard and some old milk. We didn't even buy groceries what are we going to eat? And what has he been eating all along? The thought of not having anything to eat makes me emotional, I find myself shedding a few tears. Lungelo comes in with the takeaways and finds me staring at the fridge crying.

"Babe?" He puts the takeaways on the counter and walks over to me. "Babe what's wrong? Why are you crying?"
"There's no food." I say sniffing. He holds me and I find myself crying even harder on his chest.
"But babe, we bought takeaways. We'll eat."
"Theres no mayonnaise or chilli sauce. How am I going to eat without mayonnaise?"
"Okay, tell you what. I'll quickly rush to the mall and get you your mayonnaise and chilli sauce." He leads me to the lounge and makes me sit on the couch, he wipes my tears and makes me lay down then puts a throw over me. "I'll be right back okay. Dont move." I nod my head and wipe my tears as he grabs his keys and runs out.

I watch him as he rushes out and in the corner of my eye I notice the Spur takeaway sitting on the kitchen counter. I get up and head to the kitchen, I get a plate from the cabinet and dish up the wings and ribs, chips and onion rings. I can feel my mouth watering already.

I head back to the lounge and turn the TV on, the Kardashians are on, I love them but seeing their perfect bodies will just make me insecure about my own so I change the channel and play some music on channel O. I bop my head side to side as I eat the meat. I feel like I'm in heaven. I decide to call my mum and let her know I'll be late.

"Hey nana."
"Hey ma, I'll be a bit late."
"Okay. Where are you?"
"At Lungelo's place. He didnt buy mayonnaise and chilli sauce."
"Huh?"
"I got here and there was no mayonnaise." She laughs. Am I a joke to her? "Ma, it's not funny!" She wont stop laughing.
"Okay, where's Lungelo?" She asks after her fit of laughter has wore off.
"He went to buy the mayonnaise." She laughs again.
"Ay, ok. Shem. I feel sorry for him."
"Whose side are you on?"
"Baby, I'll see you when you get back." She says before hanging up. Mxm.

I finish eating and take the plate to the kitchen. When I come back Lungelo walks through the door with a plastic bag from Spar.
"Hey, you're back."
"Yeah." He empties the contents of the plastic bag and places them on the counter. "I got your mayo, infact I got three just to make sure. And I got the chilli sauce." He says feeling proud of himself. I grab a small bowl and a spoon from the kitchen. He opens it for me and I take a couple of scoops and put them in the bowl and add some chilli sauce. He just shakes his head and goes to warm up his food.

I sit in the lounge waiting for him, he comes in with his ribs and sits next to me. I take one rib and dip it in my delicious mixture. He just shakes his head and laughs.
"So, new years eve we'll be together right?" He asks.
"I guess. That's if my mother doesnt force us to go to church."
"Nope, I booked you first. By the way, my family is coming on the fourth. Are you ready?"
"I think so."
"Good. I cant wait to make you my wife, officially." He pops a chip in his mouth and sits back. "You're spending the night right?"
"I cant. Bontle's results are coming out tomorrow. I need to be there."
"Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Okay I'll pick you up on the 31st and then we can have our new years together."
"Fine by me. But, I've already told my mum I'd be late."
"What time is late."
"I dont know, nine, ten. It's almost two pm now so we have about eight hours to spare." He puts the rib back on the plate and turns to look at me with a huge grin on his face.
"So what do you think we should do with those eight hours?" His hand goes under my tshirt.
"I dont know. You tell me."