8

I couldn't sleep last night. After Bonsile came over and said she would take me with her to her new job I was worried. For starters I've never worked in a tavern before, and being in the city means I am highly likely to run into the Mashile's, I just pray that this tarven is far away from the places they frequent.

I got up early in the morning and took a bath. My mum and Bontle helped me pack the little that I had. Even though Bontle had to leave early for her morning classes I was just happy she got to see me before I had to leave. Bonsile will be here in twenty minutes, if she is punctual. I sat on the couch with my bags already waiting by the door. My mum came in after getting her wares ready so she can go sell, I pray that all the doors that were shut on my face be opened up again so i can give this woman all that she deserves. I dont know what I did for God to bless me with such an incredible woman as my mother but I pray to God I keep doing it.

She comes over to me and sits down next to me. She takes out a bank card from her skirt pocket and hands it to me.
"What's this?"
"This is your bank card. You gave it to me before you went to jail." I want to laugh. It's been fifteen years and I'm pretty sure that card has not only expired I'm sure the bank has closed the account by now.
"Ma, I'm sure that card has expired by now."
"It did expire a couple of times but I renewed it. I couldn't transfer the money in there into my account so I deposited money into the account every chance I got. A hundred rand here and a two hundred there, I'm sure by now it should be enough to help you start your life over." I felt tears sting my eyes and threaten to make their way out. How did I get so lucky.
"Ma..... I dont know what to say."
"No need to say anything Monde, I knew one day you'd walk out of that hell hole and this was just a way for me to make sure that you will be able to start afresh." I  threw myself at her and gave her a hug as tears ran down my face. Everytime I think I'm stuck in the bottom with no way out a light always shines through. Maybe God hasn't deserted me after all. Or maybe the prayers of his favourite girl keeps me going.

Bonsile showed up with ten minutes to spare. I said my goodbyes to my mum and we left. We got to Durban and headed straight to Bonsile's flat. It wasnt too big, just a two bedroom flat with a small kitchen and lounge and a bathroom. Honestly though in my opinion it was huge even though she didnt see it that way. She showed me to one of the bedrooms.

"My roommate went home cause she's pregnant and about to pop any day now, so you will use this room for now."
"Thank you."
"Rest a bit. We'll go to work around two. You can make something to eat from the fridge, it's not much but its something."
"I will, thanks."

I walked into the room and put my bag down on the chair. I sat on the bed and said a little prayer just as mum instructed. Lucky for me the bed had all the necessities so I didnt have to worry about that. I got on the bed and tried to sleep but my body just wouldn't obliged. I decided after a while to go to the kitchen and make something to eat. I found chicken feet in the freezer so I decided to make that and some pap.

I finished cooking and dished up, I sat on the couch and turned on the TV, thank God this one is not like the one at home, the people are clear and visible, and there are plenty of channels to choose from. I heard a door opening before Bonsile walked into the lounge.

"Something smells good." She said walking to the kitchen and opening the pots.
"I couldn't sleep so I decided to make something."
"Chicken feet, my favorite." She dished up and came to sit down.

We finished eating and showered. She told me to wear black jeans and a black top and sneakers. I did as she said and grabbed a jacket, just in case it gets cold later. We left the building and took a taxi to Durban Central. We got to the club and I chuckled as we walked in. My mum called this a tavern meanwhile it's a whole club.