74

SEVENTY FOUR

Bongiwe and Lily walked down the stairs, Bongiwe was amused and Lily was pissed as hell. I'm sure if she could she'd slap the shit out of Bongiwe.

They got down and joined us in the lounge. Bongiwe sat down next to her mother and Lily stood there with her arms crossed.
"Why did you wake me up from my nap?" She asked looking at Bongiwe.
"Ntombazane, awuzokhuluma nami ngimdala ume ngeynyawo. Hlala phansi (girl, you wont speak to me as an elder standing on your feet. Sit down.)" MaMtolo answered her in a calm manner, way too calm if you ask me. Lily wasnt having none of that. She kept standing and tapping her foot on the hardwood floors.
"I'm not in the mood for whatever game this is. I'm tired and I need to rest, so say what you need to say magogo." Some people like to play with fire. MaMtolo got up and went over to her. She stood in front of her looking at her straight in the eyes.

"Angazi ukuthi ukhulelephi, wakhuliswa ubani Kodwa la, kukwaRadebe, imthetho yalaykhaya iyahlonishwa, umthetho walaykhaya uthi akunangane ezokhuluma nami ime ngenyawo. Uma lokho kukuhlula, thatha imthwalo yakho uphume uphele la. Siyezwana? (I'm not sure where you grew up and who raised you but this is a Radebe home, the rules in this house are respected, and the rules say no child will talk to me while standing on their feet. If that is too much for you then take your bags and get the hell out. Are we clear?)

I'm not sure what Lily said cause all we heard was her mumbling before sitting down. MaMtolo also sat down and looked at her.
"Now that we are all adults, where is your family?"
"They are in Nkandla."
"Why didnt they bring you here to report the pregnancy?" Lily frowned.
"Because its none of their business. This is my child."
"Does your family even know you're pregnant?" Bongiwe asked.
"Like I said. It's none of their business." She answered with her teeth clenched.
"I'll take that as a no then. Now moving on. We need your family's address. We need to have a conversation with them about this." MaMtolo told her.
"No! My family has nothing to do with this. I've already told you that." She answered half shouting.
"Ntombazana, dont shout at me. Firstly we dont know if that baby is really a Radebe, secondly, you failed to come to us when you found out you were pregnant and you show up now ready to pop, so excuse us for having doubts. We need to have your family involved in this if we are to move forward." MaMtolo said clearly not waiting for Lily to agree or disagree. Whether she likes it or not it has to happen.

"Fine. I'll let them know." She answered. "Can I go back to sleep now?"
"Of course. As soon as you clean the kitchen."
"Excuse me?"
"Unless you brought a maid with you, you can call that person to come clean for you. And if you didnt then please go to the kitchen and clean your mess." MaMtolo told her. As much as I am happy she's here to help I also cant help  feeling like maybe I am weak. I mean who needs to run to their mother in law to solve her issues in her own house.

Lily gets up from the couch and drags herself to the kitchen. You can tell by the banging of plates and pots that she is angry.
"I'm hungry. What are we eating?" MaMtolo asks
"I'll order more food. It's too late to cook now." Lungelo answers.
"Perfect. I'm going to take a shower and a nap. I'm tired, Bongiwe will bring my clothes. I'll be staying here till we figure out that girls intentions."
"Hhay ma, I cant drive to Richard's Bay and then come back here again. Ask Thandeka to bring your stuff."
"You ask her. Mina I just want my clothes." She says and walks up the stairs. I was hoping she would take Lily with her but I guess it's better that she'll be here, I wont have to deal with Lily alone.

Bongiwe decides to leave even though she's busy grumbling. Chances are very high that MaMtolo will get her clothes tomorrow. I walk her out and she gets into the car.
"So we'll see you when you get back?" I ask through the open window.
"Get back where. I'll see y'all tomorrow. I dont have the time or energy to drive back here. Wena bond with your mother in law." She says and drives off. It's going to be a long night.