44

Do matric students still do pens down parties or that trend died with the old folks? I dont know. All I do know is that Bontle is officially done with her exams which means she is officially done with school. And now we await her results. While most people will be an anxious and nervous I will be as cool as a cucumber cause I know and trust my baby.

I decided to go home for the weekend since Bontle finished writing on Wednesday I figured we could celebrate on the weekend when I'm off work. And I get to celebrate my new ID. Yes i am officially back to being Nomonde Sarah Gumede. I still dont know why my mum felt the need to name me Sarah but ke it's my grandmother's name so I have no choice but to bear the name. The only positive about it is that it's my second name.

I went past a bakery after work and bought a small cake and some snacks before Lungelo picked me up and drove me home. Is it weird that I have got used to being driven around? I dont know when last I used a taxi to go home. Weird or not, I am enjoying this and for as long as its here, I will savor every moment of it.

We got home and since Lungelo was in a hurry to get back to the club he couldnt stay for the celebration. He did come in and greet my mom and Bontle though. And when we walked him out with Bontle he gave her an envelope with something inside before driving off. We got back into the house and I was curious to see what was inside the envelope but Bontle wouldn't open it just yet. As curious as I was I had to respect her wish.

We had an awesome mini celebration. Mum enjoyed the cake so much she even had an extra slice. And here I was thinking she has no sweet tooth. Bontle finally decided to open her envelope. She screamed after opening it but she still wouldn't tell us what it was. We kept looking at her hoping she'd say something but she didnt. Instead she closed the envelope and put it back in her pocket. My mum and I looked at each other before looking back at her, and she could clearly see us looking at her.

"Are you going to tell us what's in that envelope?" My mum finally asked.
"No. It's my gift."
"Hhaybo Bontle, we want to know." I said.
"Fine." She sighed and took the envelope out of her pocket. She opened it and all I saw was a bunch of orange something being pulled out. Only when she laid it out on the coffee table did I see what it was. It was two hundred rand notes.

"How much is that?" I asked as I tried to count the notes in my head.
"I dont know." She answered. My mum couldnt stop looking at it.
"Count it." She picked it up and counted it and it was five thousand rands. Why would Lungelo even give her that much money.
"Letha ugogo akbekele yona. (Give it to me so I can save it for you.)" Mum said making us laugh. We all know chances of her getting it back are slim to zero if she does give it to her.
"Hha gogo, I am going to put it in my savings. It will come in handy next year." Okay. Smart girl. She takes out a couple of notes from the bunch and hands one to my mum and another to me. "But yourselves something nice." She says before walking to her room while fanning herself with the money.

"I wish you had met Radebe before meeting that devil." Mum says sounding upset, I think.
"You and me both. But ke we cant change the past. That's what you always say right."
"I know. But still. I think he'd make a great father. Seeing the constant smile on your face and how he keeps making Bontle happy, I could die now and I'd die happy cause i know you two would be just fine."
"You were coming along just fine until the death part. You are not going to die on me anytime soon. I still have to build you that house in the burbs." She laughs making me happy.
"Just make sure the house has a pool."
"Done." I high five her. She gets up and goes to her room to sleep.

I decide to call Lungelo. He picks up but there is so much noise I don't think he can eve hear me cause he keeps asking me to repeat stuff. I cut the call cause it's clearly hopeless. He calls back after a couple of minutes and this time its silent. He's either outside the club or in his office.
"Hey, sorry about that. The club is packed. What's up."
"Nothing much. I just want to say thank you."
"For what?"
"For Bontle's gift. She loved it. And she even gave me and mum two hundred rands each." He laughs.
"She's balling already. I can't help but stan." How the heck does he know so much young people lingo?
"Why so much money though?"
"Well, I figured since The bank reversed the 20k from Paul I should kind off replace it. I'm pretty sure she already had plans for it."
"True. I hate that Paul keeps using her to fight his stupid battles. I wish he could stop."
"You know he wont. They just buried their brother and he still feels the need to keep fighting."
"Yeah well, he's fighting a losing battle."
"I know. Let me get back to work. I love you."
"I love you too." The words leave my mouth before I can stop them. I can tell by the silence on the other end that he is just as shocked as i am. I know i should be panicking or sweating right now but I'm not. It feels rather good. I hadn't said that to him until now.
"Wait, what did you say?" He asks no making me nervous. I giggle like a little girl.
"I said, I love you too."
"I thought I was dreaming. Okay. You just made my entire night, no make that my entire year."
"Ok, go back to work."
"Ok. I love you." He's really going to milk this for all it's worth.
"I love you too." He laughs again and hangs up.

I went to bed with a heart full of gratitude. I might not have all the luxuries that life has to offer but I am grateful for the life I have. And I don't think I'll ever get tired of saying that.

We woke up the next morning and took a taxi to town so Bontle can deposit the money in her account. We then went to the mall to get lunch and some groceries. I told Lungelo we were in town and he offered to take us home. Of course i couldnt say no to that offer. We got home and found a car parked outside the gate. It had a KZN registration so maybe that rules out the Mashile's. I wonder who it is.

We got into the house and the person in the car didnt even move an inch. Lungelo decided to stay for a while just to see who this person was but they didnt seem to be interested in letting themselves known. Thw crazy part about it was that they weren't trying to hide cause we could clearly see them sitting in the car watching the house. I was getting nervous to be honest.

Lungelo went out to confront them and as soon as they saw him walking towards the car they quickly started the car and drove off. He came back and my mum was pacing up and down the lounge praying.

"I dont think you guys should stay here tonight." Lungelo said soon as my mum said Amen.
"What? Why?"
"What if those people come back? What if they are watching to make sure that they come back soon as I leave. I can't leave you here."
"Yoh." Mum said as she sat down.
"I get that this is an inconvenience ma but I can't leave you here alone with some person watching your house. I'll feel better knowing you are somewhere safe."
"Ma, Lungelo is right. Whoever that was probably knows it's just you, me and Bontle in the house, what are we going to do if they decide to attack us." I said sitting next to her.
"Where will we go Nomonde, my sister is in Soweto." I forgot I let the flat go. But we could find a hotel.
"We'll find a hotel."
"With what money?" Lungelo cleared his throat trying to get our attention.
"You could just stay at my place. Its big enough and there's plenty of security. And I know you aren't really comfortable being there so I will stay with my brother until we figure out what's happening."
"I cant let you move out of your house Radebe."
"I dont mind. I'd rather you were safe."

After more persuasion my mum finally agreed. We packed our bags and got into the car and off we went to Durban. I cant believe we are running away from our own home because of some unknown person watching our house.

As much as this may seem like some random thing I can't help feeling like Paul has something to do with it. After I told Khanya about Paul's little stunt with the scholarship and the money he made sure to have the money reversed and the scholarship being looked into. He even got a PI to find all they can on this bogus company. A part of me however hopes I am wrong. The Paul I knew wouldn't do something like this, but then again I havent known him for a long while and people change.

The only positive about this is that Bontle is done with her exams so we wont have to bring her back here and worry the whole day not knowing if she is safe or not. We got to Durban and Lungelo drove around a bit, I guessed it was maybe to throw off the person if, God forbid, they are tailing us.

After a while we drove to his house. We got in and Bontle headed straight to the room she was using before. I led my mum to the other guest bedroom before going to our room. I found Lungelo packing a small bag.

"And now?"
"I did say I will be staying with my brother. I don't want to make your mum uncomfortable."
"That's sweet, but isn't it supposed to be the other way around." He chuckles and brings me in for a hug.
"Well, if I plan on marrying you one day I have to be in your mother's good books and making her uncomfortable will not do that." He kissed me on the forehead before going into the closet to get more clothes. How did we move from just 'I love you' yesterday to marriage today. "I spoke to Muzi and dont be scared when you wake up in the morning and find people in the yard. He is sending guards to watch over you guys." He said from the closet bringing me back to earth.

He finished packing and I walked him to his car. I watched him drive out then I went back into the house. I dont know what the fuck is happening right now but if Paul is behind this, I will kill him with my own bare hands. This time I will go to jail for something real.