69

MY SISTERS KEEPER

SIXTY NINE

I woke up in a hospital bed on new years day with a man on my arm. I still don't understand how the hospital let him stay.

I watched him sleep. He looks cute when he's sleeping, you wouldnt even tell hes a criminal. Oh well,  I guess he's my criminal now. I got up and went to the bathroom to have a shower. I came back and got dressed and waited for the doctor. Lungelo was already up and busy on his phone.

"What if the doctor doesn't discharge you?" He asked seeing me get dressed.
"She has to. I need to go see Amanda."
"In Joburg?"
"Yes. I'm sure she was lonely, especially on Christmas." He put his phone away and looked at me.
"How many times did she come to see you when  you were in prison?"
"It doesnt matter,  I need to find out if I can't get her a transfer to Durban, that way she'll be close by and mum can also go see her."
"Why? Dont you have enough on your plate? Your career is just starting again, we have a baby on the way, a wedding to plan, Bontle needs her mum and Amanda's kids also need you. Why cant you let Amanda be the adult that she is and focus on you."
"She's my sister Lungelo, I can't just turn my back on her."
"She didnt have a problem doing it to you. Heck, shes the one who put you there." Are we really doing this right now? It's not like I'm going to Mars.
"That doesnt mean I have to do the same to her. I'm not like her Lungelo, I cant just turn my back on her." He sighs and brings me to stand between his legs with his hands on my waist.

"I know you're not like her, but Nomonde sometimes you need to think about you first. You just had an operation. You cant just get on a flight and go to Joburg." The door opened and a nurse walked in together with the doctor.

"I see my patient is ready to go." She said with a smile on her face.
"I am. So what's the verdict."
"Well, I'll need you to get on the bed to make sure everything is okay and then I might discharge you."
"Okay." I got on the bed and the doctor did all her tests.
"Alright. Looks like everything is good. I'll get your discharge papers ready."
"So doctor, is she allowed to fly with the operation still so new." Of course he had to ask.
"I would not recommend it."
"Thank you doctor. We'll wait for the discharge papers." She smiled and left with the nurse in tow.

"Really Lungelo. You didnt have to do that."
"What? Care about your wellbeing and that of our child?"
"Of course I care about our child, but I also need to speak to my sister. She's all alone."
"Your sister is fine. You're not."
"Fine then we'll drive."
"Who is we?"
"Lungelo?"
"I'm not driving to Joburg and you aren't either. We'll go to Joburg when we drop off Bontle, then you can see your sister. Until then you arent going anywhere."
"Okay so what will have changed then? The operation will still be there."
"Get ready to go, I'll get the discharge papers." He said and walked out. I'm not sure if this is a fight or I'm just overreacting. I guess I'll see Amanda some other time.

A few minutes later Lungelo walks in with the discharge papers signed and my medication. He helps me put my shoes on then I remember the food trolley.
"Are we taking the trolley with us?"
"No, they are already on their way to pick it up." He's not even paying attention to me. Maybe we are fighting. I grab my bag and we leave. He opens the car door for me and I get in. He gets on the other side and drives off.

"Are we fighting?" He looks at me with a frown on his face.
"Why would you say that?"
"Because you're not talking to me, and you seem irritated." He chuckles and puts his hand on my thigh.
"We are adults MaGumede, we dont fight we talk."
"So you're not mad at me?"
"I couldnt be mad at you even if I wanted. My heart wouldn't let me." He pulls into a Nandos drive thru. "What do you want to eat?" I give him my order and he places it. Maybe he is right, we are two grown adults and I've had enough fights in prison to last me a lifetime.