90

MY SISTERS KEEPER

NINETY

I've never panicked about anything as much as I am panicking now. Maharaj was found dead in a bar. According to news reports he died of alcohol poisoning after being suspended from work. Any other day that would be good news to me but right now I cant help feeling like the cops will come after me. He was investigating me anyway. But I guess I can rest easy knowing that he died of his own accord, the cops were watching each of us so there is no way they can try and pin this on us.

I've been in the lounge playing with Imi, now I understand what they meant when they said enjoy them cause you will blink once and they will be teenagers. At five months old this one has even started crawling. I dont know where she is rushing to but I just want her to stay this little forever. I want my babygirl to be my babygirl for life.

The perks of working from home a lot I get to watch this one grow right in front of my eyes. Nomonde walks in from work looking exhausted and throws herself on the couch.
"Long day?"
"You have no idea." She gets down on the rug and kisses Imi then gives me a kiss too.
"I still dont understand why you are working. You know you could quit today right?" I dont know anyone who has the kind of money that she has in her bank account still working. But then again we all wake up every day and go to work.

"I'm not quitting my job Bhungane. I've told you that before."
"I know. I'm just saying."
"Have you heard what happened with Maharaj?"
"Alcohol poisoning. But I can't help feeling like there is more to this than meets the eye. Someone like Maharaj wouldn't just die nje just like that."
"People die all the time Radebe. Maybe it was his time." Ever since we found out about Maharaj, Nomonde hasn't been bothered. If I didnt know any better I'd say she had a hand in this. One moment she was freaking out about Maharaj the next she is not even flinching when she finds out the man is dead. But I know better, Nomonde is a saint.

"I'm going to cook. Do you want something specific?" Her head shoots up like I just spoke a foreign language.
"Since when do you cook?" I laugh. This one doesnt see me.
"MaMtolo taught me how to cook. She didnt play games. Besides. Who do you think was cooking for me before you got here?"
"I dont know. I thought you ate takeaways. And I know you did because when I first came to this house there were no groceries in the house."
"Okay maybe I didnt cook everyday, but I did cook. So what do you want?"
"Surprise me. Imi and I are going to take a bath."
"Ok." I got up and went to the kitchen and started cooking. I know those two will take forever to finish bathing.

My phone rang just as I was setting the table. I picked it up and it was Busani.
"Ntshangase."
"I'm sending you an address now, be there in the next thirty minutes. Bring your wife." He hangs up after dropping that bomb. I wonder what he wants. I'm still angry at him for saying my wife is a distraction. I switched off the stove and went upstairs. Nomonde and Imi were on the bed playing in their pyjamas.

"Hey, we have to go." She looked up at me and smiled. I know what's shes thinking.
"You burned the food didn't you?" She asks trying to hide a laugh.
"No the food is fine. Busani wants to see us." Her face changes.
"Why? What did you do?"
"What makes you think I did anything?"
"Why else would he call you?"
"I dont know. But we have to go." I pick out a dress for her in the closet and a jacket with sneakers. I hand it to her and she starts getting dressed while I take a quick shower.
"I'll call my mom and ask her if we can leave Imi with her." She shouts from the bedroom.

I get off the shower and get dressed. When we are done we pack Imi's things and drop her off at her grandma's. We drive to the location Busani sent. When we get there we find a few cars parked outside the house. When we walk in its silent. Philani and Lando are here, Lindani and Taki, Sizwe and Kazi, Faith and Mbuso, the only people missing are Nate and Buli. Everyone is sitting around a few rectangular tables pushed together to form one huge table. At the end of the table there are five empty chairs. There are also four open spaces which I assume are mine and Monde's as well as Nate and Buli. We greet and take our seats. I'm sitting next to Philani. Sbu and Razor are sitting together.