26

Some people say death comes like a thief in the night, it comes unannounced and disappears the same way. That was the kind of energy that was surrounding the Mashile's, and like death it didnt make an announcement.

Every day and every hour was like a countdown to what was coming. Lesego did what he always did, control everyone and get them to do whatever it is he wanted. Paul was like an empty tin being blown by the wind to whatever direction it desired. Malcolm had guilt eating him up inside, day in and day out, but he had rested in the knowledge that Bonolo had given up her investigation, which meant his little secrets were safe, for now. Unbeknownst to him, his woes were far from over.

Amanda lived her life like she had no worries in the world. She had won, again, little did she know there was more coming her way than she could imagine. Lebo was Lebo, strolling through life with a glass of wine in her hand anytime of day or night, some people would have quit alcohol after what befell her, well to her credit she did quit, for about three months but it seemed the need for alcohol was bigger than she had imagined, so the cravings had won.

While Mrs Mashile had celebrated the return of her daughter unharmed and in good spirits she was unaware of the kind of floodgates her daughter had opened. She was in her kitchen making lunch for herself since she was home alone when  the gate intercom buzzed. She opened the gate and whoever it was drove in. She waited till the person knocked on the door before she opened.

"Khoza, this is  a surprise. What are you doing here?" She asked as she let her guest in. She led him to the patio where she was sitting enjoying the beginning of spring, and with it the heat. She sat down on the lounger with her drink next to her.
"We have a problem MmeMashile." Khoza muttered as he took a seat.
"What's the problem?"
"I dont know who your son pissed off but they are coming for him."
"Which son?" She asked concern now taking over.
"I dont know yet, but I wouldn't put it past Lesego, you know how arrogant he is." She sighed and took a sip of her drink.
"Who did he piss off."
"Rumours have been circulating at the office that it might be the Biyela's."
"As in Busani Biyela's family? Didnt he retire to travel a few years back, what could he possibly do?"
"That's the thing. He retired yes, but his son is still in charge of the family businesses, and I mean all of them, legal and illegal." She chuckled.
"Come on, Busani might have been ruthless in his heydays but I doubt his son's bite is stronger than his bark." Khoza shook his head and tried to suppress the laugh rising up from frustration.
"That's where you're wrong. Some people think he might be worse than his father. Him, together with his friends are as ruthless as they come. And if he finds out that we helped cover up the accident that killed his son, I promise you we will be in deep shit."
"See that's why we pay you Khoza, to make sure nothing ever comes to light. I know Lebo made a mistake but she was drunk, she'd just found out her husband was a lying, cheating piece of scum. No one deserves to be punished for that."
"Maybe, but she did kill someone's child in the process."
"I know that, but we cant go back and change the past. How is the investigation going?"
"Nothing much has come up. And I doubt we will get anything. It's been a long time."
"Maybe that's why Bonolo let it go too. She couldn't find anything."
"Possibly. I have to go. Mrs Mashile, I know you might not think much about anybody else but your family but I promise you, be very careful of the Biyela's. Whatever Lesego might have done, he better find a way to rectify it before Biyela finds out about his son." He said before he got up and left.

Mrs Mashile sent a message to her children and summoned them home for dinner. She called the maids and told them to start making dinner since her children would be coming over. She laid back on the lounger to enjoy the last few sun rays before the sun went down.

****************

The Mashile's sat around the dining table waiting for their mother to join them. They had been sitting there for almost an hour with no sight of her. They knew better than to call her so they just sat there like statues, not even speaking to each other.