47

I wasnt sure what was happening. I stood just outside the door on the stoop with everyone watching me like I was some criminal. I looked around the crowd hoping to find a familiar face, well actually I was hoping to see Lungelo but he wasnt there.

My heart started beating fast cause I didnt know what I did or didnt do, and all these eyes starring at me was just hella awkward for me. I dont like attention and this was a bit much for me.

Bongiwe and Thandeka popped up from Hod knows where and they hooked their arms around mine. A bit of normalcy was what I needed. We started walking towards the gate.

"What was that about?"
"What?" Thandeka asked pretending not to know what I'm talking about.
"You know exactly what I'm talking about."
"Argh, dont worry about that."

We got out the gate and walked up a gravel road to God only knows where. I looked behind me and I noticed the kids were following us. They were busy giggling and laughing. I figured maybe I am overthinking this whole thing so I just decided to enjoy the walk.

We walked for about twenty minutes until we got to the beach. I didnt even know they lived this close to the beach. We walked to the beach and I noticed Lungelo was standing close to the water with his back to us. Bongiwe gently pushed me towards him. I walked towards him. I heard someone whistle. I turned to look where the whistling was coming from but I couldnt see anyone.

I turned back and Lungelo was now facing my direction. I walked towards him. He had a stick in his hand. I got closer to him and just before I could get to him he drew a line on the sand, with him on the other side and me on the other. I stopped cause I didnt understand what was going on.

"What's going on?" I asked him. He smiled and his dimple showed, making me smile too.
"Nomonde, MaGumede omncane, ntombi yo Qwabe, ngiyakuthanda Mnguni kaYeyeye. I havent known you for long, but I've known you long enough to know that I never want to be without you in my life. Ngako ke, ngalomugca lo, (therefore with this line.) Ngfuna uthathe isincumo, (I want you to make a decision), inkomo kwaRadebe zikhona (we have cattle), ngingathanda ukuzthumela kini (I would love to send them to your home), ngvumele nglethe injabulo empilweni yakho (allow me to make you happy), weca lomugca lo (if you go past this line), ngfuna wazi ukuthi bonke ubuhlungu ondlule kibo, kuyosala emuva, ngoba ngyohlala njalo ngikukhombisa uthando olufanele ismomondiya esifana nawe. (I want you to know that all the pain you went through will be left behind, because I will show you everyday the love that a beautiful woman like yoh deserves.) Weca lomugca, kusho ukuthi uyavuma futhi uyangethemba ukuthi inhliziyo yakho iyohlala ezandleni ezifudumele, (if you go past this line then you agree and you trust that your heart will be in warm hands.) Ngvumele Mnguni,
Qwabe, Mnguni kaYeyeye, Osidlabehlezi bakaKhondlo kaPhakathwayo, Abathi bedla, babeyenga umuntu ngendaba Abathi “dluya kubeyethwe”, Kanti bahlinza imbuzi, Bathi umlobokazi ubeyethe kuyikhuni, Sidika lolodaba, Phakathwayo
Wena kaMalandela, Ngokulandel’ izinkomo zamadoda, Amazala-nkosi lana Mpangazitha! Ngvumele ngthumele abakhongi kini, (allow me to send representatives to your home.)"

I stood there like a statue just trying to take in this moment. I've known Lungelo for what? Less than a year, less than six months to be exact, and in those six months he's been consistent in both word and actions. If he says he will do something he does it, and if he says something he means it. In the time I've known him I've learnt to not only trust and believe in myself because he trusts and believes in me, but he has also shown me what happiness should be. What love should be, he loves my daughter like his own flesh and blood and he protects us. What more could a girl ask for.

With tears streaming down my face I took one step forward. I put one foot in front of the other and crossed the line before me. And with that one step I took a step towards my future, my little piece of haven awaits. Thw smile on Lungelo's face went up to his ears, I hugged him. It felt right being in his arms. I belong here and I never want to be anywhere else.