< 6 >

[ 12th September 2007 | 9PM ]

"garlic, corn syrup, green onion, chilli powder, is there something I forgot?" Hanbyeol questioned herself as she is on her way back home after getting the groceries her mom asked her to.

the 13-years-old girl is now humming to her favourite song, minding her own business, not until she see a thick smoke coming from a resident which make her surprise.

She rush to the smoke direction and see a house on fire which make her panic before turn around to see if there's a near public phone and see one within 2 meter, she quickly run to it and dial the emergency number.

"There's a house on fire ! the adress is 166-2, Cheoryangsang-ro, lane 63, Choryang-dong, Dong-gu, Busan"

"Oh Hanbyeol, 13 years old, I'm on my way back home before I saw the house"

she said as she keep her eyes on the burning house. she then listen to the operator questions and instructions before ended the call.

the girl rush back to the house and realize it's burning from the sec floor, then she made up her mind to put her things away, get her handkerchief out from her pocket and soak it with water by the nearest pipe before running into the burning house.

"mom!dad!"

she heard a voice making her follow the voice, she also hear a few cough, she ended up finding a boy on the staircase, trying to make his way upstairs but there's a few burning piece of wood that restrict him to do so.

"watch out !"

Hanbyeol shout as she see another piece from the upper floor about to fall on him, she rush to the boy and pull him off the stairs making them fall on the floor as a few piece collapse on the floor.

"No..NO !" the boy screams as he about to make his way again to the collapse stairs but Hanbyeol stop her by holding him back, "don't, it's too dangerous ! I have called the emergency department, let's wait for them" she utter making the boy turn back to see her.

"THEY'LL BE GONE BY THEN" he scolds the girl making her surprise. her eyes got teary but she come back to her sense as she heard the boy cough before slowly ended up crouching. She crouch in front of him and put the wet handkerchief on his mouth and nose, making him to look at her in surprise.

"let's save yourself first.." she mutter before she pull the boy out of his house.  As they almost reach the front door, a few more pieces floor collapsed to the first floor making them shock, Hanbyeol hurriedly pull the boy out but as soon as they made their way out, an explosion could be heard.

Hanbyeol put her arms over the boy head, protect him before herself as she see a few small piece of wood flew out from the upper floor. Hanbyeol ended up hugging the shaking boy to protect him.

After a few moments, a few sirens can be heards approaching them making the girl look up slowly and see a few officers making their way to them both.

"are you okay?" they ask as they encourage the two teenagers to get up and make their way further than the burning house as the firefighters try to shut the fire. the officers place them in the ambulance, the shaking boy yet to let go the girl, still remains in her embrace as she slowly rub his back.

-----------------------------

"what's your name little guy?" one of the medical staff ask as she put her hand on his back, "Park...Sunghoon.." he mumble as he slowly pull away from Hanbyeol embrace making her to look at him.

Park Sunghoon.

"so you're Oh Hanbyeol? the one who called the emergency?" she ask the girl making her nod slowly. "that's so brave of you..you also save him, I really admire you" she continue as she ruffle the girl hair making her smile faintly before moving her gaze back to the boy beside him. "wait here okay, I'm going to get you guys water" the older say before leaving the two teenagers.

"are you okay..?" Hanbyeol question carefully as she take the boy hand in hers, holding them. the boy shake his head making her gulp as she caress his hand with her thumb, making the boy look up to her with his glasses eye.

"I'm sorry..we couldn't save your parents.. I should arrive faster" the girl say making the boy shake his head. "I'm the one who supposed to act right away after smelling something burning, but I ignore them.." he reply, a tear stream down his cheeks.Hanbyeol wipe his tears away and keep holding his hand.

"Hanbyeol!"

the girl look up due to the familiar voice, calling her. she then see her mom rushing to her and hug her making the boy startled. "why did you ran inside?it's dangerous!" the older scold her making her taken back.

"but..I save him.." she mutter as she point at the boy beside him making the older turn to the crying boy. she is surprised to see his condition. "where are.."the older about to ask but then she glance at the burned down house and realize what happened.

she clamped her lips and give the boy a hug which he responds immediately. "I'm sorry for your lost..how old are you?" the older ask as she pull away from the hug. "thirteen" he answered making the two a little surprise.

"we're on the same age, what school do you go?" Hanbyeol ask, "Busan Middle School" he mumble making the girl pconfused, "why didn't I see you around? maybe he's from a different class" the girl mutter under her breath.

"you can stay with us for the time being, at least until your house getting rebuild" Hanbyeol mom say making the boy look up to her, "really?"he ask making her nod. "we'll help with the upcoming things too, don't worry" she answered as she caress the boy head making him smile faintly.

"thank you.." he reply as he give the older a quick hug making the two smile.