Chapter 1

Tessa

My parents are fighting, again. I don't know what's happening, but I have a feeling that they are going to divorce. If they wake up, of course. I can hear they like to fight, instead to separate. They don't thin about me, about their mental health. They like to fight all day long when this could be really simple: divorce. I hate these fights and soon, I will tell them to divorce. But now, I'm not that brave.

I take my bag, I put on my shoes and I leave the house, going to my favorite pub in town. All I need is a distraction from these fights between my parents. And what's the best distraction? The alcohol.

As I arrive there, I find my old friend, Nora, behind the bar. I take off my jacket and I sit on the bar stool, ready to order.

"Hi. What can I get for you?"

"Hi. A shot of vodka followed by a sex on the beach."

"Thought time at home?"

"As always. I'm not that brave to tell them to divorce."

"I know how are you feeling. But trust me, divorce is the best solution. I can see how happy mom and dad are separately."

"Let's hope my parents will divorce in the end." Nora puts a shot of vodka and my cocktail in front of me and I drink it all, then she moves to the man next to me.

"Hi. Sir, what can I get for you?"

"A bottle of tonic water, please."

"Here it is." She hands him the tonic water. I spot in his hand a book. Okay. We're in twenty century. Who's reading a book in a pub?

"Excuse me, what are you reading?"

"Pride and Prejudice." He shows me to cover book.

"Impressive." I smile.

"Why?"

"It's really awkward to see someone, especially a man, reading something from Jane Austen in a pub."

"Well, it seems like I'm not like the others men."

"I can see that. I'm so impolite." I sigh. "I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Tessa. And you are?"

"Hardin."

"It's nice to meet you."

"Me too. Have you read this book?"

"Yeah, I did. I actually love Jane Austen and this is my favorite book from her."

"She was a really good writer."

"I agree. Reading her books, made me to want to become a writer."

"Oh, that's really interesting. Are you in college?"

"Yes. I will start my first year on Monday. I'm doing a major in Literature."

"Well, impressive."

"Why are you saying this?"

"Because in this century, everyone is focusing on the technology and it."

"Well, me and technology are not liking each other. So, I prefer the humanistic part."

"Cool."

A few hours later...

It's been a few hours since I'm in the pub and I had four or five drinks. I'm a little bit dizzy, but I enjoy the company of this stranger. I excuse myself and I get up, walking to the bathroom. I get inside and I don't bother to lock the door. I turn on the water and I wash my face with cold water, I need a refresh. When I wipe it with some towels, Hardin stands next to the door and he looks at me.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you."

"Okay. Now, leave."

"I like you." He comes closer. Okay, I don't know if I like it. As drunk as I am, I don't think I should do this...

"Woah, easy, boy. I am drunk, but I'm not going to let you take advantage on me."

"Oh, c'mon! I know you want me!" He sticks to me and I put my arm on his back. He suddenly lifts me up on the counter and I kiss him. What can I do wrong? I should live my life, right? We kiss like crazy until we're out of breath.

"Oh... you are a good kisser."

"I can say the same thing." I smirk and I kiss him again as he sticks his hands under my skirt. And in that moment, I know what I do right now is wrong. Really wrong. I'm drunk. I can't let a stranger take advantage on me. "I'm sorry. I can't do this." I push him gently and he let me go.

"What?! You have to be kidding! I'm hard as a rock and now you're pushing me away?!" He's pissed.

"We can't do this in a public place, especially not in a pub's bathroom."

"Then let's go to my place."

"No."

"No?! Why the fuck no?!"

"Because... You wouldn't understand!" I say and I get out. I go to the bar, I want to pay for my drinks, but Nora tells me Hardin paid them already. I quickly walk outside, but I feel someone catching my hand.

"Wait!"

"What do you want?"

"Why?"

"I am a fucking virgin! What's so hard to understand!?" I say angry and I immediately regret saying this loud.

"Oh... That's why..."

"Yeah! Now, fuck off. I'm sure you don't want to be around a virgin!"

"Wait. Let me take you home."

"I can walk by myself."

"It's late. You are drunk and God knows what psychos are on the street. Please... At least, I can take you home."

"Okay, fine." He's right.

"Thank you." He leads me to his car. We get inside and I tell him the address. After 10 minutes, he parks the car in front of my house.

"Thanks for bringing me home."

"I couldn't let you walk like this."

"Can I have your number?"

"You are too persistent. No." I say and I get out of the car, walking to my house. I get inside and I see him leaving. Good. He gave up.

But... I kinda liked him. He's cute and interesting. Brown hair, green eyes, I saw some tattoos on his skin... He's not old. Maybe I will intersect with him again and I will let him do whatever he wants with me.