chapter 132

Walking down the wide, empty corridor, Cass went up to the top room of the tower.

When he opened the door, he saw his father lying on a sick bed in a dark room and a maid beside him taking care of him.

Seeing Cass, the maid hurriedly bowed her head in greeting, and she left the room.

“You’re here?”

A hoarse voice came from the senile father’s mouth.

Ruthos Lloyd. He was the owner of Lloyd Merchant and Cass’ father. And now, the light of his life was gradually fading due to the manifestation of the curse that has been passed down from generation to generation in the Lloyd family.

“How are you feeling?”

“Nothing special. It feels like I can see Salerium now. There’s no fear because it’s the path that our ancestors followed.”

Cass nodded his head.

It was the path that all the men of the Lloyd family had to go.

At some point, an absolute disease on which either holy or divine power doesn’t work manifests itself. It was the price of sin inherited from distant ancestors.

His father became ill when the time came, and Cass, the heir owner of the merchant, had been leading everything in the business for a long time.

“When it’s time to die, all sorts of random thoughts run through my head.”

“…”

“The kid who just left. I asked her to say anything because I was lonely, and she told me about a boy she has a crush on.”

She was a young maid, about sixteen years of age.

“Did she say that her heart was pounding and she was flustered, I wonder. Perhaps your mother felt the same way about me.”

Cass didn’t have very fond memories of his mother. But he didn’t resent her for leaving his father.

“It feels like I haven’t fully seen the world because I’ve been living like a fool. Now only when I’m about to die do I feel this, such an unfair suffering.”

Another curse passed down in Lloyd’s blood was their inability to feel the emotions that normal people feel. It’s the essential human emotion that goes into a layer such as love, consideration, and sympathy.

Lloyd only pursued profit and was able to maintain their position as one of the wealthiest families in the Empire.

But Lloyd’s wives were thirsty for affection. Because they had no use other than to carry on the family line.

The atmosphere in the Lloyd family, where only those with ability were recognized and held real power, was cold and stiff.

“Father is complaining unlike yourself.”

“Fufu. It seems that as this body weakens, my mind weakens as well. You will know when you’re old.”

Cass’ mother loved his father and even conceived him, yet she never married his father and chose the Duke of Rockford. It was a bad thing for Cass, but a reasonable choice for his mother.