Aftermath

*Aria's POV*

"Is she going to make it?" Hanna asked Mrs. Hastings. I looked over and saw Toby crying in the corner of the waiting room.

"She may not. She's still in surgery, but the doctor said based on the location of the wound, even if she does, she'll never be able to have children," Mrs. Hastings said, surprisingly dry eyed. Mr. Hastings stood next to her, his eyes just as dry as hers.

"Are they just being tough, or do they really not care about Spencer?" I asked, turning to my right, and realizing that Melissa was standing there, not any of my friends. "I'm sorry. That wasn't really meant for Hastings ears," I said, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"It's fine, Aria. I'm pretty sure it's because Hastings don't like to show weakness. Caring for someone is considered a weakness in our household. That's why I'm not crying," Melissa said.

"No wonder Spencer is so high strung," I muttered. Melissa laughed and walked over the coffee machine.

"Hey. How are you holding up?" Ezra asked me, handing me a coffee.

"Well, other than the fact that one of my friends was shot tonight and Charles decided to ruin my other friend's wedding, I'm doing just fine," I said, smiling and raising my coffee.

"Well, it was highly unexpected. But Spencer's strong. She'll pull through," Ezra said.

"Ezra, she's not going to be able to have children. That's why Toby's all depressed," I whispered, nodding my head behind me at Toby.

"Oh my god. Did she want children?" Ezra asked.

"Yeah. She always talked about how she was going to be a better parent than hers had been, and she didn't care if it was dumb as a box of rocks, she was still going to treat it with more respect than she got," I said.

"Wow. That's going to be a shock, then," Ezra said, drinking his coffee.

"Can I get everyone's attention. Those who are here for Spencer?" A nurse asked. We all turned to look at her. We were the only ones in the waiting room.

"Is she alright?" Mrs. Hastings asked.

"Spencer pulled through. But the doctor was right. Spencer won't be able to have any children. The bullet tore right through her uterus. I'm sorry for that picture, men, but I just wanted to let you know. Spencer can have visitors, but let's just do one at a time," the nurse said, walking back out of the waiting room.

"Alright. I'll let Toby go see her first. Can you maybe tell her the news? It will tear her up, and I think you can comfort her the best," Mrs. Hastings said to Toby.

"Sure thing," he said, wiping his tears away and walking back to Spencer's room.