Chapter 2

My heart begins to pound and my hands start sweating. Why am I so scared? Nothing is going to happen to me. Please heart, stop beating your driving me insane. What was it Dad said? What was the punishment for none royals entering the serum room unaccompanied? That they were to be jailed. No, not jailed. They were to be executed.

Executed! No, I can't hang anyone. I'll just pretend I haven't seen anyone. No, I need to check. But... No, I need to check.

Slowly I start walking to the serum room. I gulp down the lump forming in my throat and straighten my tiara - I need to look presentable. Glancing back to make sure no one is watching me, I throw myself into the room.

The sight that greets me stops me in my tracks. The person - assuming it is a boy - hasn't notice me.
"You do know it's a criminal offence to be in here!" I say as posh as I can.
"Punish me then," a deep, raspy voice counters me. He doesn't turn around to look at me - what arrogance. My anger starts to build up.
"Do you know who I am?"
"Yes Princess, the whole country knows who you are," he says in a mocking tone.
"Then you know what I can do to you,"
"I know you don't have it in you to hurt me," he says inching uncomfortably close to me. "I know you lived in an orphanage. I know you're 17 and turning 18 in 6 months. I know you're becoming queen in a year. I know your birthname is Caitlyn.Do you want me to continue?" he mumbles into my ear. When I don't reply he strolls out the room like a model.

Completely starstruck I stand frozen. Oblivious to who he was; I just can't seem to piece the puzzle of his ignorance. Does he want to get himself killed? Multiple questions fly through my brain. All the things I should have said are like wrecking balls inside my mind.

As much as I hate to admit it, I am in awe at his confidence. Something I can't say I have. But I have enough of it to find that concieted jerk and confront him.

With a scowl plastered on my face, I slam the door of the serum room shut. Time to start the search!

If I had done something illegal, and was caught, where would I go? Certainly I would leave. But not the usual way because the guards would only ask questions and where would that get me. Anyway he seems too arrogant to just leave; he would be here somewhere - ridiculing me.

I linger in the ballroom observing everyone I come across. No one looks suspicious. Cursing myself for losing him, I know that this search for him is futile.

"Where did you go?" a voice startles me.
"You scared me!" I say panting.
"You look like you have seen a ghost," Sam, my best friend, says.
"Uhhhh no! I have just been around,"
"You're lying!" she confronts me. This is one of the things I love about her. Most people are respectful and sugar coat things just because I am future queen but she just spits it out.
"Ok, I am lying. But I can't tell you. Just trust me with this." I say.
"No problem, I will meet you after. My sister Ruqayah needs attending to," Sam says rolling her eyes. I laugh. Her sister is the most adorable little monkey I have ever met. She laughs at random things and hops around. Apparently she is on a mission to bring back the pigtails. To keep her happy I braid my hair in two pigtails whenever she is around. What a cutie!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the final guest leaves, I throw of my heels - that I was forced to wear - and fall back onto the sofa. My dress has been so tight that I probably had restricted oxygen to my body cells. Didn't the designer of this dress realise that I had to breathe? I am really skinny but this dress takes skinny to a whole new level. A level I am not going to reach.

Clumsily I stagger to my bedroom. Soon as I am in, I lock the door and rip out of my dress. Freedom. I dump my crown and jewellery in a messy pile on my desk. After 10 minutes of wrestling my clothes off, I am completely naked. Despite the bitterly cold air, I feel at peace for the first time today. Nevertheless I hop into the shower and wash the makeup, hairspray and sweat from my body.

After, I get dressed into my pyjamas and grab a mug of hot chocolate. Looking in the mirror, I realise I am not Princess Arianna anymore. I look more like my former self, Caitlyn. My birth name given to me by my biological parents was Caitlyn. When I was adopted, the King and Queen believed Caitlyn wasn't posh enough therefore they changed my name to Arianna. Initially, Caitlyn was to be wiped away indefinately. But it was the only thing that binded me to my parents so I begged to keep the name. We decided that I would be named Arianna Caitlyn Swift. Although, everyone calls my Arianna; Caitlyn is my little secret.

I sit on my balcony, letting the warm breeze dry my hair. I have always loved the night - it felt enchanting. In a distance tree, I spot an owl staring at me. I love owls. This owl has captivating green eyes. Wait! My heart almost skips a beat. Owls don't have green eyes. I stare intently at this peculiar creature and then it hits me.

This was the man in the serum room... He is outside my balcony now.

Authors note
I hope you really enjoyed it.
I worked really hard on this chapter and made my sister proof read it 6 times.
What do you think should happen?

Show support by voting and commenting.
Thanks!
Amina
15Princess04
xoxo