Chapter 40

Arianna's POV (An hour ago)

"Get up," three guards drag me off the floor and clutch onto my limbs. Tired I mindlessly do what they tell me and oblige like a sick puppy.

I'm taken to an unfamiliar room where freezing cold water is thrown on me. Like a leave in autumn I shake. Then the guards scrub the charcoal and dirt of me - probably to hide, from the public, that I've been tortured. I grit my teeth as the carbolic enters my wounds causing searing stings. I'm clothed in black (the colour of a traitor) and a black head mask covers my face. Unable to see the guards lead me out.

The silence of the hallways leads me to believe that everyone has already gathered in the courtyard with their stones nd tomatoes in abundance. It's become a tradition to pelt traitors with tomatoes so there are smeared in the colour red.

I've seen many executions and I know exactly how it works. The traitor is taken onto the stage and a necklace of rope is thrusted onto their necks. Then the guards reveal the traitors face and the public pelt them with stones and tomatoes. After the crowd dies down and the executor pulls the handle and the trap door is open. After everything seems to happed in a black and white blur. I've participated in audiences many times but I never thought I'd get my turn on the stage.

Bitter air crashes against my skin and I know I'm outside. The roar of the crowds is deafening. Pulled up the stairs, I feel the rope being placed against my skin, slowly the executor pulls the rope tight until it clasps on my neck like a possessive touch.
Sunlight enters my pupil and I squint after days of darkness.

Drowning out the screams of the public who once used to adore me, I think of Caleb. The only thing keeping me going. He entered my life as a demon and he left as my everything. He would be proud of me. I don't know how I let him go, maybe we got lost in translation or maybe this was a masterpiece until it was broken. Our love was made to rule the world.

Something perplexing comes into view, Caleb. I don't know if it's a mirage but I'm seeing him.

Suddenly the trap door is pulled open and I feel the rope yanking it's fibres against my neck. My vein begins to swell and I begin spluttering. Death is seconds away. Until the rope stops pulling. Instead gravity takes it's position and pulls me to the ground. The impact is so sudden that I feel my leg twist. My voice lets out a sudden high pitch screech.

I'm alive. Against all odds, I defied death.

"Arianna," a voice that I easily recognise says.
"Caleb," I gasp, "You're alive."
"I'm alive, Arianna, I know it's not the time but I need you to know that I love you," he says quickly as he picks me up from the ground and pulls the cut rope from my neck.
"I love you too, Caleb. But Caleb why did you come? They'll kill us both now," I clutch his neck.
"Did you think I could ever leave you?" he whispers.
"It killed me thinking you were dead. I don't want to loose you," I say, "What's the plan to get out of here?" I ask.
"There isn't one," he replies.
"Who cut the rope?" I ask curiously.
"I'm guessing Jalen threw a knife and the rope fibres slit," Caleb tells me.

The soldiers have gathered in masses by now. Armed with weapons that could potentially end us in seconds. The king and queen begin to step forward until they are metres away from me.

"Well well well. I guess both lovers can die together," the king patronises.
"When did pathetic Arianna begin to make her own choices, the queen adds.
"Guards," the king shouts.

"Please stop, I'll do anything. I'll tell you anything. I'll become the perfect princess that you want me to be. Just let him go. I promise I won't ever see him, just don't hurt him," I plead.

"As tempting as that is, we don't need you," the queen cackles.

Like a swarm of bees, the guards begin to move closer to us at a rapid speed. Everything feels like it'll be over in seconds and maybe it will be...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors Note =

Omg like what is happening? The feels are pouring in like gushes of reseviors.
What do you think is going to happen?

QOTD- How do you think it's going to end?

AOTD- Not telling ya ;-)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
EGDE OF DESTRUCTION IS NUMBER 48. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? DO YOU HAVE ANY CLUE THE HAPPINESS THAT BRINGS TO MY HEART? I DON'T HAVE EVERYTHING IN LIFE BUT THESE LITTLE HAPPINESS FILL ME WITH SO MUCH JOY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!